Tutorial Lone Wolf Parts (Freedom Wolf)

GSW10

Patriot Serving Patriots!
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
"So," you say to yourself, "I've Built a couple of Polymer 80 pistols already, what is the big deal about the Freedom Wolf? I have to 'glue' the Rails into the frame? The Magwell is as blocky and ugly as an AMC Gremlin?? Any other differences???"

In this first Chapter, let's talk about the parts. Can't Build without parts. So, if you are planning a Freedom Wolf Build, you should know a few things before you send out for happy little bags of Freedom pieces.

First, Polymer 80 frames are based on Glock Gen 3 pistols. But Lone Wolf is different. The Freedom Wolf is based on a Glock Gen 4. There IS a difference, a BIG difference...
So, let's take a look at the basics...

Part 1, LOWER PARTS:

1. Trigger Bar/Shoe

P/N-4497 (Grooved Trigger), or
P/N-3608 (Smooth Trigger).
These vary from Gen 3 Trigger Bars. A small 'bump' on the Shark-Fin helps to stabilize the Trigger Bar when swapping the Magazine Catch for left-handed use. If you never plan to swap the Mag Catch over, a Gen 3 Trigger Bar will work fine.

2. Trigger Housing
P/N-30275 (9mm -Ejector marked "30274"),
P/N-28927 (40 S&W -Ejector marked "28926"),
P/N-30561 (357 Sig -Ejector marked "30499").
These are very different from Gen 3. Gen 3 Housings will NOT fit a Wolf frame, period. But the Gen 4 Housings are all the same for every Gen 4 model Glock (except for the 'slim' single-stack models), and Gen 3 G20'SF' and G21'SF' models where Glock initially pioneered the slimmer Housing design. Extractors can be removed and swapped-around as well, and are the only aspect that is different between the listed P/Ns.

3. Trigger Connector
P/N-7965 (5.5 lbs - marked ".")
Gen 3 Connectors fit fine however, and may have a slight difference in trigger-feel, but which one is 'right' will depend purely on preference.

4. Trigger Spring
P/N-350 (same as Gen 3)
NY1 and NY2 Trigger Springs are compatible as well, P/N-7405 (Olive) and P/N-7412 (Orange) respectively. "Ungh! I can't pull the !@#$! trigger!!!"

5. Slide Lock (Take-Down Lever)
P/N-301 (same as Gen 3)
Extended Controls are also interchangeable between Gen 3 and Gen 4.

6. Slide Lock Spring
P/N-8073 (Gen 4 'flat' style), or
P/N-39567 (Gen 5 'coil' type).
Lone Wolf got creative on this one, and molded their frame to take either the flat-type springs used in Gen 4 models, OR the Gen 5 coil-type. Either works fine.

7. Slide Stop (Release)
P/N-2919 (same as Gen 3)
Extended Controls are also interchangeable between Gen 3 and Gen 4.

8. Magazine Catch
P/N-7534 (Standard), or
P/N-8794 (Extended).
These are 'reversible' for left-handed shooters. Be sure to get the appropriate Gen 4 Trigger Bar if intending to swap over to South-Paw configuration!

9. Magazine Catch Spring
P/N-280 (same as Gen 3)
Not much to say. It is a small springy metal rod. Glock uses them in (almost) every model... (G21 Ambi, anyone??)

10. Pin Set
P/N-420 (Trigger),
P/N-4368 (Locking Block),
P/N-427 (Trigger Housing -polymer*).
Same as Gen 3 pins. *Polymer 80 frames should NEVER use an OEM-style polymer Trigger Housing Pin. That is why they include their own steel pin. However, the Freedom Wolf can safely use a polymer pin. Yuck, but it is safe...

11. Locking Block
P/N-4361 (DISCONTINUED*)
HUH? That is right, LWD DELIBERATELY designed their Freedom Wolf frames to use a discontinued Locking Block. Unlike Polymer-80 frames that include their own proprietary FRLB (Front Rail/Locking Block component), Lone Wolf decided to 'stick it to the buyer' by using a special flat-sided discontinued Locking-Block. They manufacture their own replacement ($31) that they are happy to sell you, when it is actually in stock. While you CAN use available Blocks P/N-7894 as used in most Gen 4 Glocks, LWD will VOID your warranty if you modify your frame to use these thicker, beefier Locking Blocks. But hey, Lone Wolf will make you pay to ship-in a frame for warranty anyway, so does it really matter? Combat Armory sells a suitable replacement for the discontinued Blocks for $20... Check 'em out if you want to go that route. For me, the Freedom Wolf isn't a 'frame' to begin with, it is just a hunk of plastic, so cutting-out a couple extra strips of polymer wouldn't matter much, but to each their own. ;)

Part 2, UPPER PARTS:

1. Slides

G19 (9mm), G23 (40 S&W), and G32 (357 Sig) Slides are all directly compatible with the Freedom Wolf frame.
Gen 4 Slides have a larger Recoil Spring/Guide-Rod Assembly (RSA), with dual-rate springs. The RSA retainer 'hoop' at the front of the Slide is much larger on a Gen 4 than on a Gen 3. The RSA is too big to fit in a Gen 3 frame, and the slide is too big at the front to fit a Gen 3 frame either. However, LWD did include a small insert for the front dust-cover area, to fill the gap if you choose to install a Gen 3 Slide and RSA...

2. Barrel
G19 (9mm), G23 (40 S&W), and G32 (357 Sig) are all directly compatible with the Freedom Wolf frame.
The 9mm barrels are smaller in diameter than the 40 S&W and 357 Sig barrels however, and must be matched-up to the 9mm slides. G23 and G32 barrels are directly interchangeable into each others' Slides. 9mm 'conversion' Barrels are commonly available aftermarket production items for the G23 and G32 slides.
Gen 4 Barrels originally came with larger RSA 'Pockets' on the bottom, in front of the Locking Lugs than Gen 3. Gen 4 RSAs would tend not to seat fully if installed with a Gen 3 Barrel and occasionally caused installation or recoil cycling problems. Most Barrels produced now are Gen 4 compatible, and use of a Gen 3 RSA with a Gen 4 Barrel is acceptable, problems with reliability or RSA damage are poorly documented and extremely rare, at worst.

3. RSA (Recoil Spring or Guide Rod Assembly)
P/N-8703 (9mm, marked "0-4-3"),
P/N-7815 (40 S&W, 357 Sig, marked "0-3-3").
Gen 4 models have a larger Recoil Spring/Guide-Rod Assembly (RSA), with dual-rate springs. This was initially designed for the Gen 3 Sub-Compact G26 and G27 models, and Glock liked the upgrade so much that they expanded the design across their entire line-up. This RSA is too big to fit in a Gen 3 frame. However, a Gen 3 RSA can fit a Gen 4 Slide with an aftermarket adapter-ring, but many of these rings will only work on aftermarket all-metal Guide Rods.

4. Internal Components
Glock Gen 3 and Gen 4 Upper Parts are all interchangeable. Well heck, that was easy!🤣

Stay tuned for additional Chapters, discussing use of Gen 5 components, alternate-configuration Builds with mis-match frame-size slides (G17, G22, G31, etc...), and maybe the best way to ditch that 'what-the-hell-were-they-thinking' Magwell... Thanks for reading, please post any updates or corrections to the information contained herein. Hereon. Here..Whatever. On this post.😅

Great post! I hope you don't mind I added the "Tutorial" prefix to it. Makes it stand out a bit in the thread list.

Great post! I hope you don't mind I added the "Tutorial" prefix to it. Makes it stand out a bit in the thread list.
Thank you, good idea. Hopefully it helps someone get the right parts...(y)

Bapegg, I was kind of wondering if I might lure you into this by mentioning the Gen 5 options... Take over on that one! You've got direct experience with Gen 5 components in the FW frame, and plenty of pics too. Who better to continue that chapter?:)

Give me time to find all of my photos of my G44 Freedom Wolf Build and photos of my two other FW builds using Gen 5 G19 slides and I''ll post them up. One has an OEM Gen 5 G19 MOS slide and the other has a Zaffiri Precision Gen 5 G19 slide.
@bapegg 👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻 Am interested in this material if you have put it together yet.

Does this all look correct for a LW build? They don't make it easy by just putting LWD locking block, LWD trigger housing 🙄

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220505-131954_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220505-131954_Chrome.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 94
  • Screenshot_20220505-132001_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220505-132001_Chrome.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 108
If you are ok with using all Lone Wolf parts in your Freedom Wolf they do have a complete frame kit:

So looking at that 1, all I would need to buy would be the locking block separate correct?

So looking at that 1, all I would need to buy would be the locking block separate correct?
According to the description it does come with the locking block:

Everything you need to complete your compact Timberwolf or Glock OEM frame including LWD's Universal Trigger Housing (LWD-UTH) with trigger stop! Also includes extra ejector to install into the LWD-UTH to make this 9mm, 40S&W, and .357 SIG compatible!

Kit Includes:
LWD-3608Lone Wolf Trigger Bar G17,19,22,23,24,26,27,31,32,33,34,35,37,38,39
LWD-PolyShoeLWD Polymer Trigger Shoe, Black (Bare Trigger Shoe)
LWD-7496LWD Extended Slide Stop 3 Pin
LWD-ESLLLWD Extended Slide Lock Lever Black
LWD-721LWD Connector 3.5 lb
LWD-350-6LWD Trigger Spring 6 lb
LWD-420LWD Trigger Pin
LWD-4368LWD Locking Block Pin
LWD-427BLWD-Trigger Housing Pin (Black)
LWD-UTHLWD Universal Trigger Housing
LWD-280LWD Mag Catch Spring
LWD-2317LWD Slide Lock Spring M/19,23,32,38
LWD Locking Block M/19,23,32,38, non-billet
LWD-1882LWD 40 Bare Ejector
LWD-30274Gen4 9mm Ejector
LWD-UTS-WrenchUTS Wrench (.050" Short Hex Key)
LWD-UTS-ScrewUTS Screw 4-40

Working up a game plan for some builds I will start this winter. I plan on building a P-80 CL and a Freedom Wolf.
Do I understand this right? I can put a gen4 g-17 slide and barrel on a freedom wolf build? I have a gen 4 g-17 slide looking for a home.
If this works safely, I will prefer this instead of doing mods to a CL.

I can use my gen 4 g-17 slide with a GEN 5 g-17 barrel (i need to buy)
with my FW LPK and G-17 UPK. I already have the parts kits, so barrel is all I need. How about the RSA ?
I am assuming its a gen 5, so I'll need one of those too.

Ok gist doing a search for a barrel. Question, I see a gen 5 19L and a 17 are the same. Am I right on this?

Working up a game plan for some builds I will start this winter. I plan on building a P-80 CL and a Freedom Wolf.
Do I understand this right? I can put a gen4 g-17 slide and barrel on a freedom wolf build? I have a gen 4 g-17 slide looking for a home.
If this works safely, I will prefer this instead of doing mods to a CL.

I can use my gen 4 g-17 slide with a GEN 5 g-17 barrel (i need to buy)
with my FW LPK and G-17 UPK. I already have the parts kits, so barrel is all I need. How about the RSA ?
I am assuming its a gen 5, so I'll need one of those too.

Ok gist doing a search for a barrel. Question, I see a gen 5 19L and a 17 are the same. Am I right on this?
Yes, except that you said "gen4 g-17 slide and barrel" which is wrong regarding the barrel (you have the detail correct later, so you know what you need, but just so someone else doesn't get confused later...). The Freedom Wolf is a Compact model, I have SEVERAL Compacts running Full-Size (or even 'extended' and 'Long-Slide') slides, but a spacer is needed to keep the slide from over-extending during recoil. Like this: (I make my own, LWD is too pricey!)
LS adapter LWD 3-3.jpg

The FW frame can accept Gen 4 or Gen 5 slides as well as Gen 1-3, yes, and the G17 Gen 5 barrel IS the same as a G19L barrel.

Thanks!! I know where to go for the right info on building.
I have learned so much form you at MGB Thanks again. I build with a lot of frame mods but I always what to be safe.

Now I have a plan for two builds this winter. Freedom Wolf long slide
and a P-80 CL with a 17L slide. I might get started early if I can round up all the parts.

Yes, except that you said "gen4 g-17 slide and barrel" which is wrong regarding the barrel (you have the detail correct later, so you know what you need, but just so someone else doesn't get confused later...). The Freedom Wolf is a Compact model, I have SEVERAL Compacts running Full-Size (or even 'extended' and 'Long-Slide') slides, but a spacer is needed to keep the slide from over-extending during recoil. Like this: (I make my own, LWD is too pricey!)
View attachment 3919
The FW frame can accept Gen 4 or Gen 5 slides as well as Gen 1-3, yes, and the G17 Gen 5 barrel IS the same as a G19L barrel.
How do you make a spacer for the longer g-17 slide? I looked at Lone wolf but couldn't find one.

How do you make a spacer for the longer g-17 slide? I looked at Lone wolf but couldn't find one.
there are vendors that sell it,

Lone Wolf Slide Adapter​

Slide Adapter Plate (G-SAP™) for GLOCK™ GEN3 to GEN4​

he Strike Industries Slide Adapter Plate (G-SAP™) allows you to use a GEN3 slide on a GEN4 frame

Here is the Gen 3 adapter:
Gen 4 adapter:

And they offer a hybrid adapter as well for using Gen 3 slides and RSA's on Gen 4 frames:

Title says "Sub compact", it isn't. You CANNOT safely run an "adapted" longer slide on a Sub Compact (e.g. G26) frame.

LWD is too pricey for me, the part is great to have and necessary, but $57 for a tiny chunk of metal??

Mine are all milled from solid stock. I know some people 3D-Print them as well. So far, I have tried acrylic, steel (this one was hand-formed, NOT milled), and an industrial polymer used for utility-access covers during construction that heavy equipment drives over. Although this stuff is bright yellow and doesn't accept paint well (I haven't tried Rit dye yet), it is my favorite as it is darn near indestructible, and machines almost as well as the acrylic. Eventually I will remake them all out of brass, but the industrial polymer has been putting up with 357 Sig though a 7.5-inch barrel in a G35 Long Slide on a Compact frame, so it is pretty well proven to me. Here was my first prototype:
G35(7)DstCvr2a.jpg

Edit: @Bcichlid beat me to adding the links, you can see a good comparison of all LWD's offerings on his link.

Thanks You!!! Now to save up some bucks for a 19L or gen 5 barrel

Back