Man stuff! Rotated tires on wife's car.

@Racer88 Your car code is: 3447170
Notice the number after the equal sign in the link below.

Code:
https://www.rockauto.com/closeouts/?carcode=3447170

You can find the car code number in the link where you search for parts for your wife's car. Notice at the same number at the end of the link below. It will work for any car they have. You don't have a whole lot of close out parts because her car is relatively new. But I have three vehicles I'm rebuilding and replacing parts for the long term that are between the years of 2000-2010 and there is a long list of close out parts for them. I am rebuilding them because you will have a big burden in a few years getting efficiently priced repairs and parts done for newer cars that are largely computer controlled now. Just like you had in the computer era where software and hardware changed regularly . The code written for the various chips and boards on modern cars is done mostly by third party vendors for manufacturers. Just like the old computer upgrade train we all went through, it will be worse for cars. The vendors will be writing code and supporting newer cars, not cars five years old. Unfortunately, some folks are going to have a big surprise in a few years if they are used to owning cars for ten or more years.

Code:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,2021,cr-v,1.5l+l4+turbocharged,3447170

@no4mk1t See my links above in this post. Cut and paste your own car code number by looking at the link in the browser for the number. If you use Chrome, you may have to change some settings so they are visible, or it may work by mouseover. I do not tend to use Chrome unless I'm debugging code. So, if you can't find the number, let me know and I'll go root around in Chrome.
Thanks!

I couldn't do it myself before, because the floor jack I had wouldn't go high enough to lift the SUV. And I didn't have jack stands. I fixed all that today with a new floor jack and jack stands. I got Harbor Freight's Daytona "long reach" 3-ton jack and their jack stands.

View attachment 19473

Having a good electric impact wrench speeds things up. The right tools make a big difference!

Tomorrow, oil change and new air filter and cabin air filter.
I did the same thing today on my truck, with nearly the same tools and jacks/jack stands. I do a 5 tire rotation on my truck. It's quite a job, but saves money to do it yourself. Plus, I like knowing my lugs are tightened properly to 85 ft. lbs.

I then changed the oil and filters.

Real men do it all in one day and cut the grass.:ROFLMAO::p:outta here:

Last edited:
Yep. Gotta use a torque wrench!

It was hot! Daylight was running out.
You can also use these torque limiting extensions. Each one has a torque value to prevent over tightening. This what the local tire shop uses.

1714881331151.png

@Racer88
There are a decent number of jack stands very similar to those in the shop here. I never use them now and they really should just be tossed.

The failure here was not like the ones you see online where the pawl has little contact, or a weld simply breaks on the upright. Those failures had a recall from what I can see.

No, the stands here actually folded like a cheap suit. And they folded on a car that was jacked up on all four corners just like yours. I kept them for awhile to show folks and warn them in person, but have tossed them. The chinese steel and the design was the major culprit as I have never had a stand fail except for those and I've had cars jacked up on all sorts of things from the garage to the race track on all types of surfaces and angles. since my teens Looking at your photos, the ones you have are not a lot different in design from the ones that failed here.

What made the stands fail here was that the car was jacked up on a slight angle. But, not much of an angle. Not enough to warrant failure and it is easy to jack a car up at a slight angle. Folks do it all the time when they jack up only one side the left or right side.

Here's what I began typing earlier when you started this thread. Yes, I know you don't have welder, so you can't do the fix for safety.

========================================

Failure of small Harbor Freight stands happened outside my shop when a friend (an engineer, autocrosser, DIYer and highly technical guy) jacked up his car and placed it on four Harbor Freight stands. His Toyota ended up on the ground/concrete, but he was not under it. He had jacked the car up on a concrete entry area to my shop that had an ever so slight angle to get cars into the shop. How slight? We are talking about a 3-4 inch rise in about 15-20 feet (not much!). I watched the entire thing happen from my home 400 feet away. And, his car is arguably one of the lighter cars at around 2,000 pounds and he had it jacked up about as high as your car. The jacks failed on the end where the engine was in the back where most of the weight is.

I will never buy Harbor Freight "small" jack stands unless I weld a flat plate on the bottom that connects the four standing uprights that are fairly thin metal. I would use quarter inch steel plate, but I imagine 1/8 would work too. You need to connect the four legs basically and give them rigidity so they won't fold up on one side.

Race tracks and/or race sanctioning bodies can often require in their Supplemental Regulations that all jack stands have flat plates welded like I described. Mainly to prevent damage to their tarmac and paddock by jack stands digging into the asphalt. COTA, VIR and others require this. But, perhaps the most important reason is safety. Often you jack only one end of a car, or one half of a car at a track. And often it can be at a slight angle. Particularly in a paddock with tilted roads or areas that are not around the garages.

Just warning you man. I would not use those stands.

Last edited:
Listen to Pat.
Don't put any body parts under the car supported by those stands until they are reinforced.
The internet is full of the failure of Chinese metal goods. That is the price we pay for a cheap price.
Without X-Ray inspection, you can't tell if those welds have good penetration. They look good with paint on them though.
We are forbidden to use Chinese rigging and fall protection at work for this very reason. It has failed and caused injuries.

Last edited:
Don't put any body parts under the car supported by those stands until they are reinforced.
I got these for wheel rotations. I'm not planning to use them to get under the car. Personally, I wouldn't trust ANY jack stands with my body underneath. Gives me the willies thinking about it. The only thing I'd trust that way is an actual lift, which I don't have. So at that point, that's what mechanics are for. I'm not doing any of that kind of work.

I use ramps when necessary to change oil.

Last edited:
Oil changed. Air (engine) and cabin air filters changed.

Now this is a cool (new to me) gizmo! A screw-in oil funnel. Keeps things very neat / clean!

Go here and scroll down for your brand / car. Ignore the "currently unavailable" tag at the top of the page.

oil-funnel-screw-in-1.jpg
oil-funnel-screw-in-2.jpg

You don't have to use one hand to stablize the traditional funnel, while you try to control the pour of the 5-qt jug with the other hand. Now you can use both hands to carefully pour the new oil. The funnel stays put and won't leak a drop.

oil-funnel-screw-in-3.jpg

Air filter changed... maybe the first time since the car was new (3 years)! The OEM filter (bottom) started off as white! New (STP) filter is red.

1714934128830.png

Attachments

• 1714934939710.png
    1714934939710.png
    403.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
They buy close outs. Parts are dirt cheap in most cases.
Cabin air filter for the wife's Kia was $35 from Kia. $8 from Rock Auto.
They have multiple warehouses. You need to look at where each part ships from to avoid multiple shipping charges. this is shown after you put the items in the cart. You can sometimes select another manufacturer and it will ship from the same location as your other parts.
THIS ^^^^^ You have to look at price and increased shipping when you add it to your cart. So an $8 filter might add $12 shipping while a $15 filter may not add ANY extra shipping.

Those jack stands look stout. My rule with jacking is to put most of the weight of the car on the stands while leaving the jack lightly engaged with the jack point. Verify all the corners of the stand are touching the ground, readjust if necessary. Give the car a good push/pull to make sure it isn't going to fall off the stands. If it feels solid you are good to go. I've NEVER had a car fall off stands (or a lift) with this procedure (knocks wood ;) ). Project Farm on gootoob did a test on jack stands I think you would be enlightened by. :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6ufAL5R0mg

PS: I have that same jack in my shop. No complaints. :) I WAS considering the Pittburgh? HF brand but for $30 more the Daytona seemed better build and I could get it in orange. HF red turns pink after about a year... :D I also use pucks with a slot in them for the pinch welds which are the jack points on my VWs.

Last edited:
THIS ^^^^^ You have to look at price and increased shipping when you add it to your cart. So an $8 filter might add $12 shipping while a $15 filter may not add ANY extra shipping.

Those jack stands look stout. My rule with jacking is to put most of the weight of the car on the stands while leaving the jack lightly engaged with the jack point. Verify all the corners of the stand are touching the ground, readjust if necessary. Give the car a good push/pull to make sure it isn't going to fall off the stands. If it feels solid you are good to go. I've NEVER had a car fall off stands (or a lift) with this procedure (knocks wood ;) ). Project Farm on gootoob did a test on jack stands I think you would be enlightened by. :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6ufAL5R0mg

PS: I have that same jack in my shop. No complaints. :) I WAS considering the Pittburgh? HF brand but for $30 more the Daytona seemed better build and I could get it in orange. HF red turns pink after about a year... :D I also use pucks with a slot in them for the pinch welds which are the jack points on my VWs.

Funny... I watched that video earlier today.

I wouldn't trust any jack stand with my life. I just use them to raise the car so I can remove all the wheels simultaneously.

Jack stands? I don't need no stinking jack stands!!

How to be a contender for a Darwin Award...

1715283133132.png

Back