My son just signed with the USMC.

Racer88

Big Kahuna Admin
Staff member
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
Infantry. Wants to maybe specialize in Recon or Scout Sniper.

1691954587892.png

Last edited:
"When it absolutely, positively, must be destroyed overnight. --USMC"

My son wants to go RECON when he signs up... I hope he doesn't have any strong feelings towards that full head of hair.... He's about to lose it. Lol....

Last edited:
Congrats ! Infantry, is your other half cool with that ? As a mom I wouldn’t 😬
Yep. She's like me. We support him in his dreams. We also understand the gravity of what he'll be doing.

My dad joined the Marines twice. He went to MCRD San Diego twice too :ROFLMAO:

He was an Expert Marksman with the M1 Garand.

Just enlisting is committing. Very grateful . I have yet to be rebuffed by any Vet I see in real life (stores, etc) when I thank them for their service. and I mean it with all my heart. After Vietnam and the reprehensible treatment our fine people endured re-entering civilian life, it's the least I could do...but please, is there a better way to thank them? What's your viewpoint?

Last edited:
I have yet to be rebuffed by any Vet I see in real life (stores, etc) when I thank them for their service. and I mean it with all my heart. After Vietnam and the reprehensible treatment our fine people endured re-entering civilian life, it's the least I could do...but please, is there a better way to thank them? What's your viewpoint?

Oh, I've never "rebuffed" anyone, either. It's just that at times, it comes across as contrived... as in the "Curb Your Enthusiasm" video above. It's become socially "de rigeur."

Most of us who have served truly don't need or expect "thanks." Most of us volunteered (since the Vietnam draft). We wanted to do it. I dare suggest that most of us enjoyed it, even if only to realize it AFTER our service. :)

If it makes people feel good to give thanks (especially if they remember how poorly the Vietnam vets were treated), I think it's a good thing ultimately. :)

Though as I think about it... cash or ammo is good! LOL!

It's just that at times, it comes across as contrived...
Most of us who have served truly don't need or expect "thanks." Most of us volunteered (since the Vietnam draft). We wanted to do it. I dare suggest that most of us enjoyed it, even if only to realize it AFTER our service.
I feel similar. I enjoyed most of my days in service. I used to say “Can’t believe I get paid so much to have so much fun” Even during the Gulf War I was out shopping for perfume & eating Shawarma from the street venders under the oil blackened afternoon sky with no visible sun and buildings being bombed. It was exciting.
In the Philippines while mt. pinatubo was blowing its top, volcanic ash falling/piling up like snow, we were there working…but I can guarantee it was party time at night at the clubs etc… open and powered by generators during the disaster. Yeee Haaa !!! When someone tells me thank you for your service I’d never think of rebuffing them but… it feels extremely awkward and very uncomfortable for me.
The person thanking me has absolutely no idea what I did or even if I did anything to be thankful for. I could’ve been a sick bay commando, dead weight or jerked off my duties.

Imagine, the person at the store check out register …thank you for yr service by each person checking out. Weird right ? They are just doing their job. That’s how I think/feel;just doing my job.

but please, is there a better way to thank them? What's your viewpoint?
If some one wants to really show appreciation…how bout buy me a cup of coffee or lunch. Show some interest in what actually I did during my service. Most vets will share a war story or adventure with anyone interested enough to ask…and appreciate that much more than a thank you. 🙂

Last edited:
Interesting, thoughtful viewpoint and feedback. Wow, real Shwarma in the ME. The smell of oil in the air constantly in Iraq. What a contrast. Thanks, Michele. You've got to admit, that the field of work y'all elected to go into is like none other, and contributing to a larger entity that is designed to protect and defend us all. Yes, I do thank the Police, Fire, and Hospital workers for what they do...a humanitarian cause of different facets; but the Military, from my civilian, and pastoral perspective, is the pinnacle of that. So much heartfelt respect.

Thank you for helping a civilian understand through your eyes in a way that goes beyond affront, but helps an avg joe's understanding. You folks have had to do things and see things at times, that humanity was never meant to face, and you did it willingly for "we the people"...you could have gone a safer route. I can't imagine the fun times afforded as you described (and I've heard of many as I know many USN, USAF, and a few ARMY and USMC peeps)....what a ride on the govt dime for all those interesting experiences. For some reason, I've had a number of people close to me throughout my life who HAVE served. (Gunnery SGT's, Pilots, Flight Mechanics, Army Ranger, ECM Techs, SEAL, Fire control officers, etc, etc..

Had I to do it all over, I would have enlisted. I can't imagine, for example, the thunderclap of the IOWA's 16" guns lighting off. The A10 Thunderbolt. Other hardware and weaponry. The exhilaration of being on-deck with fighter jets landing on a carrier (that was my BIL). And the awesome prospect of visiting so many cultures, cities and nations, all whilst woking for Uncle Sam...but I was too busy chasing other dreams. lol..

And yes, at times there have been meals purchased to express that as you suggested.

Last edited:
I feel similar. I enjoyed most of my days in service. I used to say “Can’t believe I get paid so much to have so much fun” Even during the Gulf War I was out shopping for perfume & eating Shawarma from the street venders under the oil blackened afternoon sky with no visible sun and buildings being bombed. It was exciting.
In the Philippines while mt. pinatubo was blowing its top, volcanic ash falling/piling up like snow, we were there working…but I can guarantee it was party time at night at the clubs etc… open and powered by generators during the disaster. Yeee Haaa !!! When someone tells me thank you for your service I’d never think of rebuffing them but… it feels extremely awkward and very uncomfortable for me.
The person thanking me has absolutely no idea what I did or even if I did anything to be thankful for. I could’ve been a sick bay commando, dead weight or jerked off my duties.

Imagine, the person at the store check out register …thank you for yr service by each person checking out. Weird right ? They are just doing their job. That’s how I think/feel;just doing my job.

If some one wants to really show appreciation…how bout buy me a cup of coffee or lunch. Show some interest in what actually I did during my service. Most vets will share a war story or adventure with anyone interested enough to ask…and appreciate that much more than a thank you. 🙂
Can't believe you get paid so much?! You must have been a officer.... I remember getting Fu**ed financially to do a job that I wasn't even guaranteed to see my rack at the end of the day. Not to mention, if I screwed up, ALOT of people died or got seriously hurt. Lol...

But anyway, yeah, I don't mind talking about certain things during my time enlisted with people if they're seriously interested/curious. I love the look on people's faces when I tell them flight deck stories (and screw ups). But overall the whole "thank you for your service" thing just makes me feel awkward. In my head, there is no reason to thank me for something I Volunteered to do simply because I thought it would be fun (and it was)..

Last edited:
👈🏼👈🏼👈🏼 See that.😂😂 I’m no officer I’m an old school member of the goat locker brother hood.
HTC(SW) qualified to run a double (boiler) propulsion plant as EOOW or do an emergent repair of a hole bombed in the USS Tripolli. An engineer, snipes do all nighters, a way of life underway and on the beach.
Work hard play harder.

Yep get paid A LOT. What the heck does a young boot E2/3 enlisted man do with 2K a month, sea pay , combat pay 💰💰💰💰 and absolutely no bills. Oh, and it’s tax free while in the box. It’s all spending money. As an E6 and E7 I was rolling in the dough. Haze grey and under way baby ! I was pulling in 7-8K a month to blow or save. Take someone’s duty inport and Cha Ching an easy $500 + to stand a 4-6 hr watch, even better when it’s shore patrol.

Anyone here have even close to 2K to blow ? That’s a lot for a 18-20 yr old to party on double or triple that if there’s no port o call for a couple months.

Did I see or do some things that is/are difficult to live with/through ?
Did I have to do things I did not want to or like ?
If I failed to accomplish my mission were others lives at stake ?
If I made an incorrect decision were the consequences dire ?
Yes, of course to all the above. That’s all part of it, that’s what people in the military do, it’s the job you signed up for, that’s the life. Every job in the military has its + and -. It’s mind over matter, suck it up, carry on, it could be worse.😊🗽🇺🇸

👈🏼👈🏼👈🏼 See that.😂😂 I’m no officer I’m an old school member of the goat locker brother hood.
HTC(SW) qualified to run a double (boiler) propulsion plant as EOOW or do an emergent repair of a hole bombed in the USS Tripolli. An engineer, snipes do all nighters, a way of life underway and on the beach.
Work hard play harder.

Yep get paid A LOT. What the heck does a young boot E2/3 enlisted man do with 2K a month, sea pay , combat pay 💰💰💰💰 and absolutely no bills. Oh, and it’s tax free while in the box. It’s all spending money. As an E6 and E7 I was rolling in the dough. Haze grey and under way baby ! I was pulling in 7-8K a month to blow or save. Take someone’s duty inport and Cha Ching an easy $500 + to stand a 4-6 hr watch, even better when it’s shore patrol.

Anyone here have even close to 2K to blow ? That’s a lot for a 18-20 yr old to party on double or triple that if there’s no port o call for a couple months.

Did I see or do some things that is/are difficult to live with/through ?
Did I have to do things I did not want to or like ?
If I failed to accomplish my mission were others lives at stake ?
If I made an incorrect decision were the consequences dire ?
Yes, of course to all the above. That’s all part of it, that’s what people in the military do, it’s the job you signed up for, that’s the life. Every job in the military has its + and -. It’s mind over matter, suck it up, carry on, it could be worse.😊🗽🇺🇸

"Embrace the suck!" :)

I guess it's all in how you view it. I saw myself as broke, but as soon as I got to my duty station, I pulled a loan from navy fed and bought a Nissan Skyline, so I had the payment on that, and I was pretty poor at managing money so....

I guess it's all in how you view it. I saw myself as broke, but as soon as I got to my duty station, I pulled a loan from navy fed and bought a Nissan Skyline, so I had the payment on that, and I was pretty poor at managing money so....

An actual Nissan Skyline? Nice car. Bet you wish you still had it.

I certainly don’t know what goes on in an individual’s mind, but after all the years and military folks I’ve known, never once did I hear the viewpoint expressed here…not even a hint of it, so I’m still quite amazed and wanting to understand….certainly don’t want to dishonor them/you.

If that’s the case, then what I don’t ‘get’ is all these vets who wear the hats, jackets and such advertising that they were in the military, the ships they were on etc, and then not wanting to hear a ‘thank you’ for it when they obviously want you to know what they did. It seems at least a bit disingenuous. Mind you, I’ve never once pried or asked someone their experiences, and I just shut up and let them talk about it if they wish. I’ve given counsel to more than one that came out of battle (one in Iraq) because of the imagery of some of the ugly stuff at night kept them awake haunting them …horribly sad and tormented….but I digress.

Why advertise their military background out in public if they don’t want any response from the civilians they ostensibly protected? Please. If they didn’t want recognition, they would not advertise as such.

Case in point but on a different level….a friend of mine is Japanese and his parents had property over on the central Ca coast right before WW2…they of course had their land confiscated and were interred at Manzanar…stay with me please…my friend is a huge Baseball nut…and about 15 years ago, he’s walking through the SF air terminal and sees a book stand and saw “Japanese Baseball Stars” and he bought it to read on the plane.

Come to find out, his own dad was one of the first Japanese baseball stars, post ww2 when MacArthur gave them baseball to heal Japanese/US tensions during our post-war occupation (it also resulted in the first nighttime baseball game) . Anyway, my friend was both elated and livid at the same time, as his dad had told him NOTHING about it, ever. So he goes and shows him the book & asks “is this you?” his dad nodded yes. “Dad you know I’m a baseball freak….WHY didn’t you tell me about your personal history? WHY Didn’t you ever say anything?” He had no memorabilia at home, no baseball swag he wore, or had ANYTHING to give anyone a clue about his past history in baseball. And never spoke once about it.

His dad, now well into his senior years, shrugged and said “Because I didn’t think it was important to tell you” …and walked off. End of discussion. Lol. Back on point…

“Greater love has no man than this: that a man lay down his life for his friends.”
‭‭
And it’s in that spirit of gratitude, that somebody would choose that vocation as President Reagan once said (paraphrased) “these people have written a blank check to the US GOVERNMENT with their very lives.” Nuff said.

I’d buy y’all lunch if we were in the same town.

Last edited:
Back