New Mossberg 500 HD build

JCinPA

Patriot Serving Patriots!
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
I've finished my Mossberg 500 build. I like simple, big dot up front, not a fan of GR sights, I like simple 2-point slings, simple lights, that sort of thing. My mods on this gun are:

- Magpul SGA stock and forend (required longer action slide tube)
- Magpul Type 1 and Type 2 QD sling mounts
- Magpul MS1 sling
- Brown Coat Tactical shotcard
- Magpul 5-slot picatinny polymer M-LOK rail
- Streamlight TLR-1 light
- XS Big Dot front sight
- NDZ aluminum safety
- NDZ magazine tube follower

Differences from the photos, I had a barrel clamp with a front sling attachment point but it interfered with the light when I mounted it, so I jury-rigged a fastex buckle and paracord attachment for the front (pictured). I like this setup a lot.

new safety.jpg

new follower.jpg

XS Big Dot.jpg

clip1.jpg

clip2.jpg

right side.jpg

left side.jpg

I also built a Mossberg 930 into basically a 940 using OR3GUN parts. Too lazy to post here, hope Racer doesn't mind linking to Mossberg site.

Intruders should be wary about busting into my place. :cool: I love this quote from Clint Smith.

“Pistols put holes in people. Rifles put holes through people. Shotguns, the right load at the right range will physically remove a chunk from your opponent and throw it on the floor behind him, and you will have to get someone to come clean it up with a shovel.”

Something like that, anyway. lol

Last edited:
found the correct quote

Thanks for the link! I have a 930 Jam Pro that I tinkered with to shoot light loads. I have not shot it since then with a pandamic and some other intervening things happening. My interest has since concentrated on pistols but every now and then I think it would be worth while to make it reliable with defensive loads. There are so many mods possible with that firearm, thanks especially for sharing the strategy and reasoning behind each mod done and why you rejected others.

Yes, the OR3GUN parts allowed me to reduce the spring rate by only 5% and with their marine spacer tube it runs really well, indeed. Both are good HD choices IMO. The pump for knowing it will shoot anything, but I’m confident in my 930 now, too.

Last edited:
I modded my 935 to shoot light loads by drilling an extra gas port and short tapping it so I can block it with a setscrew for Goose and Turkey Seasons.

IMG_20211108_094259632.jpg
My Mossberg HD pump.sidefolding stock, quad rail for the front with light and fiber optic front sight that indexes with the lightening cut in the rear rail.

Before the whole Chris Kyle thing we used to help Wounded Warriors with Deer Hunting. We took Mossberg Roadblocker shotguns replaced the Pistol Grips with Knox Compstocks and put a rail with a scope on top. Tha brake and the Compstocks made them manageable from a wheelchair.

Nice looking setup you have there, shotguns are my favorite for an all around firearm.

Be sure to shoot your “upgraded” shotguns in a HD or Tactical class m, though. That’s how I found out that my gadgets were just in the way instead of assisting. I had the magpul furniture on mine with a pict rail mounted with a flashlight on the forearm. That setup tore my thumb apart while shooting and I removed it mid class. During the class I came to the conclusion that the magpul furniture is not for me on the shotgun so, I will eventually change it out for something different or go back to the OEM stock. The fiber optic front sight also came flying off the barrel (the light rod) and left me with just the mount up front. I switched back to a brass bead sight when I got home. I also found out I prefer a single point sling vs a two (personal preference) so that’s another change needed to be made.

All this was found out during a 300 - 400ish round tactical/self defense shotgun course. At home on a static range, all my gadgets and upgrades performed well. But, that was with only a few rounds down range tested. The class opened my eyes to what really worked (for me) if I ever needed to use it for real world problems.

YMMV. 👍🏼

Be sure to shoot your “upgraded” shotguns in a HD or Tactical class m, though. That’s how I found out that my gadgets were just in the way instead of assisting. 👍🏼
Me too. My shotgun shells were falling out of my elastic card on my receiver.

Nice looking setup you have there, shotguns are my favorite for an all around firearm.

Be sure to shoot your “upgraded” shotguns in a HD or Tactical class m, though. That’s how I found out that my gadgets were just in the way instead of assisting. I had the magpul furniture on mine with a pict rail mounted with a flashlight on the forearm. That setup tore my thumb apart while shooting and I removed it mid class. During the class I came to the conclusion that the magpul furniture is not for me on the shotgun so, I will eventually change it out for something different or go back to the OEM stock. The fiber optic front sight also came flying off the barrel (the light rod) and left me with just the mount up front. I switched back to a brass bead sight when I got home. I also found out I prefer a single point sling vs a two (personal preference) so that’s another change needed to be made.

All this was found out during a 300 - 400ish round tactical/self defense shotgun course. At home on a static range, all my gadgets and upgrades performed well. But, that was with only a few rounds down range tested. The class opened my eyes to what really worked (for me) if I ever needed to use it for real world problems.

YMMV. 👍🏼
A little bit late to the party but I'm just catching up with threads...

Good point about using you SG in a class. I ran my simple 5 shot in class and learned the some things.

-First the sling just gets hung up and snagged on things. It also gets in the way sometimes when loading. I only put the sling on it when transporting it from place to place.
-Second, the fiber optic front sight only works if there is enough light to illuminate it. Even then it is likely to fly off.
-Third, elastic shell cards don't work. It's almost better IMO to carry shells in a suspended bag (either on your belt of from the shoulder) instead of on the gun, in two different places (receiver and stock). It makes the gun lighter and more maneuverable.
-Lights, optic sights etc just add weight and get knocked around or in the way.
-I didn't have this problem with my 18" bbl 5 shot but I noticed guys struggling with the weight and handling of long barreled, long mag tube, decked out shotguns. Not much of an issue when shooting competition where the stages are measured in seconds. But we were required to carry our SGs all the time, everywhere.
-Capacity didn't really make any difference in performance. We were constantly topping off our mag tubes. Shoot 1, load one, shoot two load two and so forth. Hi cap shotguns had no advantage using that rule/technique.
-Plastic stocks/slides, no mater how well ribbed get slippery when sweating or bleeding. When I got home I immediately took a soldering iron to mine and stippled the grip and slide/fore end. Took it out and ran through some drills we did in the class and it was much better. Having said that, it was so rough you basically needed gloves to run it. Which brings up the point of if you had gloves do you really need to stipple the grip and fore end? Well, maybe yes unless you intend to have gloves with you whenever you need your shotgun for HD.

What do you suggest as a way to carry extra shotgun ammo? I am leaning towards just throwing it all in a dump bag to carry on my right side as I load violin-style with my trigger hand.

c
What do you suggest as a way to carry extra shotgun ammo? I am leaning towards just throwing it all in a dump bag to carry on my right side as I load violin-style with my trigger hand.

I suppose it depends on what you use your shotgun for. For a grab and go HD gun it makes sense to have your back up ammo on the gun in shell cards, just don't use the elastic kind, they will fall out. The chance of you getting in a long prolonged gun battle is pretty slim so you'll probably not even shoot what's in your gun. However it's better to top off you mag tube as you expend ammo. One full reload should be all you need. If you're walking a perimeter or patrolling an area and expecting trouble a bag of shells might be what you want.

I ran the Velcro shell holders on my rig in the class previously mentioned and had no issues with it. I never lost a round but, I did notice them creeping up on the shell holder. Perhaps the plastic one would work better? Not sure, I haven’t tried one.

Back