Tutorial One way to combat the dreaded 'nose droop'

GSW10

Patriot Serving Patriots!
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
Anyone closely familiar with the Strike 80 frame will know two things about they don't want to know: Polymer 80 supplied a chronically low-quality-controlled FRLB (Front Rail/Locking Block), and a high percentage of these frames had a significant droop to the nose, or 'dust-cover/accessory-rail' area in front of the trigger-guard.

For the first problem, early in the game, Strike Industries and Polymer 80 were playing the pass-the-buck blame-game, each directing Strike 80 buyers to file their complaints with the other company. While this poor customer service tactic thankfully didn't last long, it was enough to shake a great deal of confidence in the new Strike 80 frames. Currently, I believe Polymer 80 is resolving warranty claim issues on this component. I wouldn't recommend advertising to them that your defective FRLB came with a SI-80, instead of a PF940C though...

For the nose-droop however, with the Strike 80 frames being discontinued at this point, there is no way to rectify this problem except by rolling up your sleeves, and fixing it yourself.

While the most common fix documented was to use a heat-gun to CAREFULLY heat the frame and re-bend it to the desired position, dangers of over-heating the polymer, over-bending/under-bending the frame, or bending the frame in an unintended/undesired way (i.e. twisted or sideways) were still a concern. Numbers were provided for minimum temperatures needed to effect changes in the polymer's shape, and maximum temperatures that shouldn't be exceeded to avoid damaging the polymer's chemical makeup. What to do then if this isn't a fix inside your comfort-zone?

One other option is to ignore the problem. It is mostly cosmetic, after all. OEM (factory) Glocks are known for developing 'pig-nose' problems, or a pinching of the nose up tight to the slide -this is generally caused by pressures applied to the dust-cover by prolonged use in a holster. This would most commonly be a problem for law-enforcement or CCW permit-holders using only or primarily one gun as an EDC. It is entirely likely that after a year or two of continuous use in a snug-fitting holster, a Strike 80 frame will un-droop itself, essentially correcting the droop as a half-step towards 'pig-nosing'. But... Yuck.

So, how else could this be fixed?? The 'droop' was actually caused by the frame cooling too rapidly after being removed from its' mold. I strongly suspect this was predominantly found on Strike frames because they were made thinner and lighter than their PF940C siblings, and while Polymer 80 had their formula for cooling the PF series down fine, it just didn't work out for the Strike 80 frames. One of the problems this caused was the nose-droop, but the other problem related to the FRLB fitment itself. It became standard practice and 'advised' in 1TQ videos to adjust the FRLB fitment with filing/sanding techniques. Instead, the correct solution should be to leave the FRLB fitment alone, provided it wasn't flat-out defective in the first place...

After completing all necessary frame-work to make the Strike 80 functional, when installing the FRLB in place, first install the Trigger-Pin (along with Trigger Bar assembly and Slide Stop Lever, of course). Keep the Trigger Pin holes very tight, and do NOT over-drill them. It may be necessary to tap the Pin into position with a small soft-faced mallet or hammer and punch. Secondly, insert the front FRLB pre-drilled Pin. If your frame suffers from nose-droop, it almost certainly will NOT insert easily, probably not at all without other 'fitment' work done to the Pin Holes or FRLB component... Push firmly upwards on the nose of the frame, enough to force the entire dust-cover section to shift upwards. With the proper force, this may likely allow the front FRLB Pin to line-up sufficiently to drive the Pin into place with a small mallet or similar tool.

There will be a significant force applied to the frame (which will gradually lessen in time as the frame 'learns' its' new shape), with the FRLB in tension pulling the front of the frame back up where it should have been in the first place. While I cannot say this will fix all Strike 80 nose droop problems or your FRLB fitment issue, I can say that from a relatively small sampling I've witnessed, I can verify that this method fixed 100% of the Strike 80 nose-droops I've seen, and no heat was necessary to achieve desired results.

I have this issue with a p80 (PF940C) frame in my 2nd build - which has been in limbo for a while.

It's subtle, but it's there.
20211210_110537[1].jpg

20211210_111419[1].jpg

20211210_110556[1].jpg

An article copied from the MGB blog

"Factory fit Factory tight" American Nightmare oct 2020

This article has been moved to the resource center

P80 Ralph nose drop video

View: https://odysee.com/@p80ralph:0/how-to-fix-your-strike-80-frame-nose:e?src=embed

A Caution by @bapegg
A discussion a while back was held and it was determined by contacting Polymer 80 that the max temperature to heat the frame without doing any damage is 225 degrees F. And when using anything hotter than a hair dryer, you really do need a temp gauge so that you do not exceed 225 degrees.

Last edited:
Yep, the heat-gun approached worked for a lot of Builders. I never liked the idea of applying that much heat though too easy to damage the polymer's elasticity and create brittle spots -I don't even like Cerakoting polymer frames... Even though I know it is fine following Cerakote's instructions. I found the 'stressed component FRLB' method worked 100% with no heat, no risk. But that may not always work? Thanks for posting the info on the heat-gun method.

An article copied from the MGB blog

"Factory fit Factory tight" American Nightmare oct 2020

If you've built a lot of polymers then you've noticed that sometimes not all slides fit tight towards the front. Here is a quick remedy that will get your polomer80 Factory tight. First zip tie the slide tight to the frame. Then heat it up several times in short intervals. Then put it in the fridge over night.Make sure to take off the sights before doing this.When you wake up "FACTORY TIGHT"

Heat from the trigger guard to the end of the gun. Heat it up just enough to for a little play. You don't want anything to melt. Bring it up from cold to warm slowly.

wlMLbTQQncfJZlZPMgSmrtcjnWMsRtOLM2YzAw04AFiJTG6TFxexfP7u7mEDVe1VS-KbmsArhztT7UApxkohLruwX_EmYuS6fSM2MGMQR1SItAEegZYAytLmDTFadHJ23RqTf-3G

UbAHOSAntay9iM07VwESZdbeqgfyM26FXI5IG--xQF1x7IQnO4TIOQXckMH1pQqiar-16n0tQXOkOl38FZtZeKDE8RVIAGl6se5dIhUaR2VlM6kkw61UQLdyFGfmSawyNARIMAUk

BOgmDgqEk22gIt3ZQHDsDwG7BSmpmEkrHJsiokstM294Az4snLIxRCM5bnzPfbN3YX2xh2o4tVjcqSTMUTUUj57KcCUXPJG7GY1zuY1jCcro9jBnlQpDvN_fjsfVbzJhUIbTrggU

Mc_Cris85 writes:
It's always bothered me on my pf940c (Shoots great). Took a hair dryer to it for a very long time and clamped it with microfiber cloth in a vice overnight. Not a huuuuge difference but I was afraid to break it.

Definitely going to try zip ties and a heat gun now!
xczRADZayaUI_dhCK8BGAmykgoWA_Y3m4_IkwQbxwR4Pt50Ifj1M17ieIzHnDjRD3fZ--zWCXjLZAw0yo85hpKOsSBAtm7oGSR4GKtN-qzXVkbUf7qy1PyO70iEirMY-3h9amAya

Nose Droop by cosme422 Feb 2021
Got mine heated last night and took it off the clamp this morning and it’s Perfect! The heat gun is a confirmed good method for me 👍🏼
pRYyKanStdkQgNJ_0bKHiVTbLpZoVdgnCm5WQ9dccjjih-siWfaOGUnbKHnR0R_-Pp4vdaA4BT9lrEdnNfxoQcHJbod3MFkKeyCUlDLlYlYhoreOHz8B5S_K_tRlzIZ1gkihLK-J

T2w5UnDZ0cNinXfbt0KYYXFg6oGFL7wequmRY4EeF-jhP2SDWG6P0gd_XwTNiO6ifPQnttGFfaFg5-jChv4av3BbIFD5foKgS0zdc4z4cE6ShsZ-ogCnHnttqZWvJ-Zzm_EyPvCp

J4_Tv0PGWIOLFmpW11GGNlzKCfn-pMOCnuMJ1XYEXO8lSbqOEYEu3FaAFjgh6HFg_UymR-C6EA7eMdZtN9DEZUSqqB4oiUyny9OPx1s0TMYftRrDckHhXbJVWawIt84_tr4jm8z3

Doesn’t get any straighter than that. Heat gun success.

Got the dreaded Strike80 droop by rlbuzz00 Jun 2021

Well I finally got my first Strike80 frame. I've seen plenty of pictures of it, but it's the first time I've seen one and held one myself. First of all Strike80 from a styling standpoint knocked it out of the ballpark. Undoubtedly the best looking frame I've seen, IMO. The in hand feel is definitely different from the Polymer80 with the Strike80 feeling slightly smaller and rounded compared to the larger and more square P80.
I also noticed that the P80 is a little heavier at 2.9 oz vs 2.6 oz for the Strike80. When you compare the front rails the P80 seems a little beefier. I don't know if having slightly lighter rails accounts for the problem, but right away I noticed that right out of the box, mine had the dreaded Strike80 droop.
So after taking care of the tabs, holes, and channel I decided to take care of the droop before the build went any further. I'm sidelined waiting for parts, so I figured why not? I took the example of P80 Ralph's excellent video and tweaked it a bit to suit me better and it worked out pretty well.
What I did was to find a strong, flat surface to mount the frame using the rails to support the frame. In my case I used my drill press table. I took a 1/4" threaded rod with a nut and washer on the bottom end and ran it through a hole in the table, up through the mag well, and then fastened it down using a block of wood to prevent damage to the frame, and another washer and nut to tighten it all down. I did this because it securely fastens the frame to a solid surface without having to try to clamp the frame into place which can be difficult. The frame is held very solidly in place and there's no way it will move.
To adjust the droop I used an adjustable C-clamp. Once the frame is solidly mounted, you can pre-adjust the C-clamp so that it's ready when you've heated the frame with a heat gun. I also used a 5/64" drill bit as sort of a gauge so that I could clamp down the frame using the drill bit as a stop. The 5/64" drill bit was exactly the same gap between the rear section of the frame and the table top, so that assured that the gap would be consistent from front to back.

The rest of it is just like in P80 Ralph's video. Slowly use a heat gun to heat the frame to about 200 degrees F and then clamp the front of the frame down. Allow to cool before removing the clamp. I waited about an hour before I removed the clamp and unbolted the frame, and now the droop is gone. It was really an easy fix.

I've somewhat tweaked the method I used and I think it works better. Instead of heating the frame and then clamping, I tried clamping the front of the frame and then applied the heat.
I think what this does is that instead of heating the frame which softens the polymer which aids in the polymer bending, and then trying to bend the frame into the position that you want, I think that clamping the frame to the fit that you choose positions the frame where you want it and that applies a certain amount of stress to the frame. Then when you go in with the heat gun, it relieves the stress and allows the frame to 'relax' in the position that you have chosen.
Think of it this way. Once molded the polymer has a certain 'memory' and it will try to stay in that position. If you flex the polymer it always bounces back to that position that it remembers. When you clamp the polymer into a new position and then heat it, it causes the polymer to relax and learn it's new position.
It's also important to apply the heat to more than just the very front, rail portion of the frame. Apply the heat farther back in the frame from approximately where the slide lock is located, even to the trigger guard. It's the nose of the frame that we notice when we see the droop, but the droop of the nose of the frame is the result of the problem and the actual source of the droop comes from farther back in the frame so heating it back there helps it relax back into the shape it was designed to be in.

I can only tell what has worked for me, so this method may or may not be for you. As we are seeing there are several different methods that people have used to fix this problem. It's up to the individual to choose the one
the individual to choose the one that suits him best

G0T8teIBxycPP0yhnV_yHWdqA6RYTvBpMRtN8yUQr80w0aXY640dWqOSJ9RrJS8qnFTAnKITMX5IW6Icxi0OP15kMG72fLPcswWhJDKQbgx5UKOILu4VcC91rRMxVbM5xLQ0iLh8

WWUZQxPQLbNvJdo6SO9Al2IqV0OoqCitC_Czhr8pRy7hFc2hT2iymmQ30R8cpbTjz5rePfhwkBD6LlXhh5oFMQz0vvlbgn0QLt4NIXEnEhe6eYSVewwlkEgxDorqRjfgPG35dUo9

FjsQv3JnL6_kHOHXK05Gd0KdWZF_6QeB4RFUM0WykY3A1wk_kvNOQQ6vqq25Y0Z_AXFUcTglEB-fEcmkX0Pi7dUWKjoAirSu04CDGqGeMBfzUH7lYEJKxr50zuLMIjzTbSTb12JI

P80 Ralph nose drop video- anyone have this please post it.

A Caution
A discussion a while back was held and it was determined by contacting Polymer 80 that the max temperature to heat the frame without doing any damage is 225 degrees F. And when using anything hotter than a hair dryer, you really do need a temp gauge so that you do not exceed 225 degrees.

Cool! I just "bookmarked" this post!

1646262183196.png

Then when you click on your profile / name at the top right of the page, click on the "Bookmarks" tab fro the dropdown box.

1646262271958.png

Then, if you click "Show all..." (Or go to your profile page and select "Bookmarks")

1646262381199.png

Cool, eh?!??

Has anyone tried dipping the frame from trigger guard forward in boiling water and then clamping?
This would heat it evenly and avoid over temping it.

Has anyone tried dipping the frame from trigger guard forward in boiling water and then clamping?
This would heat it evenly and avoid over temping it.
This was indeed tried. IIRC, reports weren't as favorable as the heat-gun method, but it should work with proper clamping, and be just as effective with less risk, as you mention.

Again though, the method I've mentioned uses NO HEAT at all, helps correct common FRLB fitment issues without any component modification, and does NOT risk 'splaying-out' the front end (-any clamping force fighting against the nose trying to spring back down will also put pressure on the nose that could 'squash' it outward... I think the metal Serialization Plate is probably what has saved most of the heated frames from any noticeable lateral distortion, but it is still an easy over-correction to make). The 'stressed-pin' method I mentioned has so far worked flawlessly, and has shown zero spring-back either... If it DOESN'T work for someone, it is nothing lost to simply remove the pins, hand-fit the FRLB and try heating the frame one way or another...

Back