Second Sig Build

brian

Patriot Serving Patriots!
Exchange Privileges
Posted 20,000th Comment!
Reaction score
Put together 1st MUP and bent it somehow rendering it useless, a costly mistake! Got a 2nd one drilled and cut and put together ok.

Assembled it into a Patmos complete upper and P80 grip module. Function tested and drop tested fine, but range results were pretty horrible. Lots of failure to feed, failures to eject, etc.

Figured I'd take a page from the P80/Glock playbook and bought a Sig caliber exchange kit for carry (and full size). Better results at the range. Fairly decent firing, a couple of FTFs/FTEs but not like before. Will keep working at it.

20240503_161717.jpg
20240503_161737.jpg

20240503_161808.jpg

20240503_161815.jpg

Nice (y)
I'm in the process of getting parts together for my first Sig.
Two MUP-1 and a jig so far. A buddy gave me a full size frame in black. I have three P80s in the planning with parts, so I'll finish them fist. Any tips on how to start the planning stages for building a Sig?

Nice (y)
Two MUP-1 and a jig so far. A buddy gave me a full size frame in black. I have three P80s in the planning with parts, so I'll finish them fist. Any tips on how to start the planning stages for building a Sig?
Watch the various videos several times for drilling and MUP assembly. In my case, I was working with a drill press that I had just acquired, so I was learning how to use it/adjust speeds, etc. If you are new to the drill press, I highly recommend using some sort of clamp to clamp the vise to the press table - I made an improvised vise clamp using a bike seat clamp per some suggestions on saw on drill press use. This allowed me to clamp the vise in place with a single clamp after aligning. Use cutting oil on the holes.

Before assembling the MUP, insert the various pins into the holes to ensure fit before starting assembly. One of them didn't fit right and needed to be sanded (which I researched and found was not unusual). that lead to me bending the first MUP - trying to hard to make something fit that wasn't going to. The pins really do just slide/snap in place when sized right.

I grabbed a caliber x-change kit which has a complete slide, grip module and magazine. In my case it was around $340 and included tritium sites. This gives you most of the OEM parts to work with like is suggested on the Glock/P80s. The LPK from JSD (and others) at about $129rounds out what you need along with the MUP for a first project.

Nice (y)

Ditto to most of what Brian said... patience and a lot of cutting oil ;)

I would go one step further on advice. Buy a complete P320 (any flavor, new or used) before starting the work on the MUP-1's. Work with the factory made one, take it apart, put it back together a few times, and study how the mechanism works. Factory made trade-ins are getting cheaper on the used firearm market. Enough so to be "organ donors" for that initial build.

Then, make your MUP-1's into exact copies of the factory FCU. It is a lot easier to build one of these when you have a "known good" example to look at and copy. When all of your parts are transferred and working on the MUP-1 from a factory made P320... time to get your parts to populate the second MUP-1 as well as re-populating the original FCU.

It isn't hard work. Just time consuming and needs to be done right.

Hey, like they say... Anything worth doing is worth over-doing. ;)

Last edited:
Back