Springfield XD/m Elite - 10mm done right

Bongo Lewi

Mega-Patriot!
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
I've had this for a while and sort of stumbled on it sorting thru stuff in the safe. What an outstanding handgun. I don't shoot 10mm all that often but I'm going to take this pistol out tomorrow and put a box or two thru it. It's as reliable as it gets. The XD line is a little dated, and I presume that new SA Echelon models will eventually replace it. Even so, I would have no qualms with this full size version as a race gun or duty weapon. I get a little annoyed when I hear people say a pistol is 'accurate'. The truth is most of them are equally accurate. I will say that this XD/m is very forgiving of characteristically snappy 10mm ammo. Even the hottest variants. It eats just about everything without complaint. FMJ, hollow points, solid copper or composite. Even the Fort Scott TUIs that my 10mm 1911s don't like very much.

The SRO is also starting to seem long in the tooth but I'd still rank it competitive with anything on the market today in terms of ruggedness, holding zero and optical quality. It's little wide for the tapered XD slide but that doesn't bother me. I don't need GPS, BlueTooth, or a targeting computer to bomb wamp rats on Dagobah in a pistol optic. I use The Force. Nor is changing the battery every three years a major chore for me.

IMG_1272.jpeg

I’ve been eyeballing one of these in a subcompact form, in .45ACP. I need to go see if they have a 10mm in that size as well. Though I’m not excited about yet another striker fire pistol, these models get much praise. Thanks, BL!!

I’ve been eyeballing one of these in a subcompact form, in .45ACP. I need to go see if they have a 10mm in that size as well. Though I’m not excited about yet another striker fire pistol, these models get much praise. Thanks, BL!!
I have the matched set :) There is an XD/m compact in 10mm. Must be close to ten years ago, I bought an XD/m in 45 and not long after went with the XD/s in 9mm. Both performed beautifully. The XD/m had a mandatory recall just after I bought it. I didntexperience the problem reported but sent it back anyway. SA had it back to me in less than 2 weeks.

I'm out and about today but will post a pic of the compact later. Recoil requires a little more effort to control than the full size but it's manageable. I think it's the best compact 10mm out there. I don't have a Sig P320 in 10mm but I have shot one. A bit more modern in appearance than the Springfields and it ran well for me. If you are an Sig 320 fan you'll probably like it better, but personally, I can testify to the reliability and quality of the XD in 10mm. The chubby XD grip design seems perfect for hit 10mm loads. To me anyway.

Last edited:
Back