Switching Gears and doing 80% AK's

Red-f40

Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
I thought it was time to do AK's again
I got my kit last week and started de-milling and cleaning up the parts. Today I populated the barrel and fitting parts. I love this stuff.

press for AK build.jpg
populated AK.jpg

Here's are some examples of what an 80% AK receiver looks like. the black one comes pre folded , center support installed, rails installed, heat treated but no holes. the flat needs to be bent, rails welded in, heat treated, and fire control group and trunnion holes need to be finished.
the black receiver and the flat are AKM receivers and the silver folded receiver is a polish or Hungarian underfold receiver .
receives and flats.jpg

AKs are alot of fun. Lots of proprietary tools, but most arent too $$$ or make your own.
I built my 1st with a modified drift punch for rivets and a borrowed vhs of a 90 yr old Afgan man in a cave doing a how to vid. 30yrs an its still running.

Yours is looking Awesome

Heat treat and temper fire control holes and ejector. this step hardens the area but it's brittle.

heat treat fire control group holes.jpg
dip in water.jpg

After it's glowing red , you dip it in water (some people us oil). After that you heat it to a gray color that's just before red and you let it cool down on it own. This step makes it not so brittle.

I have these three ready for center supports but I'm going to DuraBake them first. I was only going to do 2 but I noticed that the Hungarian rear trunnion didn't line up with the Polish underfold receivers so I modified a standard AKM receiver to accept the Hungarian rear Trunnion. The 3rd one on the right is the one I modified.

ready for durabake.jpg

Here's the modified standard AKM receiver to fit the Hungarian Underfold receiver with the trigger guard, center support and Durabaked. I have to admit that I messed up doing the center support. I pressed it to hard and it went sideways. I had to drill out the support and then straighten it all out. After bending it back I fit it with a mag and made sure the bolt carry and bolt worked smooth.
hungarian ak underfolder receiver 3.jpg

hungarian ak underfolder receiver1.jpg

Way above my skill level!! Interesting to see how its done.

Where did you buy kits and parts?
You can get them from What A Country, Arm of America, Atlantic Firearms and so on. It will be hard to find any 80% frames though, they are all waiting for the receiver lawsuits to be settled in the Supreme court. Kits and FFL receivers are still available. If you try it get a kit with a pre headspaced barrel.

Here's the modified standard AKM receiver to fit the Hungarian Underfold receiver with the trigger guard, center support and Durabaked. I have to admit that I messed up doing the center support. I pressed it to hard and it went sideways. I had to drill out the support and then straighten it all out. After bending it back I fit it with a mag and made sure the bolt carry and bolt worked smooth.
View attachment 6998
View attachment 6999
Hey brother, got a question for you. I’ve got a Romanian underfolder kit but I want to put a side folder on it. Can I just buy a side folding receiver? I assume since you have to drill the trunnion holes anyway it wouldn’t matter. This is my first AK build so trying not to throw a bunch of money down the drain lol

Depends on the folder. East german side folder uses standard AKM stamp receiver rear trunnion.
The triangle left side folder requires some work- think they started calling it cypher kit or ???
J Mac makes a Yugo style rear trunnion that takes multiple stock adapters.

Now Ive thought about it, I believe Chicom/ Chinese AKs had different rivet pattern and the 1952?? Hybrids/ cross overs from milled to stamped receiver.

Back