The Best 300 AAC Barrel Length & All Things 300 Blackout Answered

Great info. I picked up a 16" 300BLK barrel w/carbine length gas so I could play w/the ammo. Curious if it'll cycle subsonic. Wish the ammo was cheaper, haha.

Great info. I picked up a 16" 300BLK barrel w/carbine length gas so I could play w/the ammo. Curious if it'll cycle subsonic. Wish the ammo was cheaper, haha.
@Miltonboro I was just talking about ammo pricing last night. Get on PSA's email list. The sell some cheap 300 Blackout on sale often. Under their AAC brand.

This is out of stock, but earlier in the week it was $13 per box. Cut and pasted from their email message below:

AAC 300 Blackout Ammo 110 Grain V-Max 20rd Box Ammunition​

$12.99​

It sells quickly at that price. So have your CC card ready. Not as fast as Rook, but pretty close! LOL.

Is there a bottom line on that video? My eyes and ears glazed over about 30 seconds into it :ROFLMAO:

Is there a bottom line on that video? My eyes and ears glazed over about 30 seconds into it :ROFLMAO:

At about 1:40 a chart appears on screen with ballistics vs barrel length. Shortest version is that significant velocity and energy is gained w/a 16" barrel, debunking popular misconceptions otherwise about 300BLK

That's what I thought I was seeing - he sure drones on just to say that :)

Talking strictly subsonic ammo here.
A 16" AR w/ carbine gas will cycle subs, but you have to use a specific powder and load right up to the transsonic line. Don't know about factory subs as I've always loaded my own. My first upper was carbine gas and I got it to run, but every now and then it won't lock back on an empty mag. Eventually replaced it with an upper with pistol gas.
It's better to get a barrel w/ pistol gas.

If all you will shoot is supersonic, then gas port location is a moot point.
Just choose a bullet designed to expand at 2000ish fps if you want to hunt with it.

That's what I thought I was seeing - he sure drones on just to say that :)
Yes, the charts are the most useful part of the video.

What really irritates me about the firearms videos online is when the narrator thinks that a two minute "I've got the biggest dick" video intro showing the narrator shooting his gun to dramatic heavy metal music, or dub step is useful content. This type of intro video rarely offers useful content. If an intro is necessary to describe what the video is going to cover, then start off talking with an executive summary and cut to the video of the narrator shooting as he's talking. Let the visuals support the voiceover and topic and don't ASSUME the viewer is seeing the same thing the narrator is seeing when he watches it. Better yet, put subtitles and context as to why it's important to show dramatic slo-mo video of a dude firing his gun.

Most of the time the intro is useless personal fluff showing off the narrator's gun and I skip the first two minutes. The sad part, is the narrator is probably the only person on the planet that enjoys watching the intro!

The lawyer videos informing us about court updates with ATF bullshit are notorious for this useless content.

And here is a shining example of the drone on lawyer effect and the useless intro donut. No music here, but this guy has the same 1-1/2 minute intro donut combined with click-bait headline on every video he posts. I can't watch this guy. He reads from a teleprompter all the legalese bullshit he types.

BREAKING NEWS!!! Immediate Nationwide Block of ATF Pistol Brace Rule In Motion!​

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yWbjoI2ArA

Last edited:
What really irritates me about the firearms videos online is when the narrator thinks that a two minute "I've got the biggest dick" video intro showing the narrator shooting his gun to dramatic heavy metal music, or dub step is useful content.

Haha, I hate those intros too. And they're usually too loud, I have to lunge for the volume control so it doesn't wake up my cat

Back