The Colt Python story continues....

Wasn’t it the Diamondback model that you could get in 22lr or 38spl?. Essentially a Python lite.
Kinda sorta.
The Diamondback was made on the smaller "D" frame of the Detective Special.
Like the original Python, the Diamondback has achieved collector status and has become priced accordingly.

Both of these were bought new in the early 80's.
The PSA price on the 686 of $700 today is less, when adjusted for inflation, than I paid 40 years ago. Even better with the rebate. I ran what I paid by an inflation calculator, and I gave the equivalent in today's money of $932.

The single action trigger pull of the Smith is lighter, but the double action pull on the Colt is both lighter and smoother, but stacks a bit towards the end, typical of the V-spring Officer's 19th Century design.

1708278825321.jpeg

I think they have always been priced at a premium. Owners are more cautious. Not many were work guns. The Sheriff got one, the deputies got something further down the scale.

Can a Colt Trooper handle a steady diet of .357? I don't recall anyone saying they couldn't handle a lot of .357. They are mostly the same with finer fitting going to the Python.
A trainer friend I worked for as an RSO for in several of his courses and who is a retired Florida Highway Patrol trooper, still has his FHP issued Python (blued). Several of us got to shoot it and damn that revolver is beautiful!

Back