The Colt Python story continues....

Sorry, man. :(
FWIW; Ruger and S&W have outstandingly good customer service - I've had to use CS for them both. Long story short, Ruger has sent me a brand new sp101 for and issue I had with their LCR 357, and S&W has been spot on with any issue, even small blemishes and such.
Yeah... but I didn't dream about a Ruger or S&W revolver. I wanted a Python! The best! Riiiiight? WRONG, as it turns out.

OK... I know there are better than Colt Python like Korth and Manhurin. But $5k - $6k for a single gun isn't in my budget.

korth-44-magnum.jpg
Its the Subaru Nighthawk in .44 Magnum

Yeah... but I didn't dream about a Ruger or S&W revolver. I wanted a Python! The best! Riiiiight? WRONG, as it turns out.

OK... I know there are better than Colt Python like Korth and Manhurin. But $5k - $6k for a single gun isn't in my budget.
This might not be a popular opinion, but Colt was never the best revolver. They were the best looking during the S&W vs Colt era, but were never as mechanically sound.

Here's my S&W "new model' 66. I modified it some to look more like the old 80s model 66.
I love revolvers !!!!!!!!!

66mm.jpg

The below picture is what it looked when I got it.

666666666666666.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1532.JPG
    IMG_1532.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
This might not be a popular opinion, but Colt was never the best revolver. They were the best looking during the S&W vs Colt era, but were never as mechanically sound.
Most coveted, I guess. I never heard anyone say, "oooh!" upon sighting a S&W revolver. But when they behold a Colt Python... "Oooooooh!"

The site's picture hosting turned the picture upside down again. :mad:
I'll try a different picture..

Edit; fixed picture in post above.

The site's picture hosting turned the picture upside down again. :mad:
I'll try a different picture..
Nope. The site's hosting doesn't do anything to photos. They've all been right side up on my (viewing) end.

Nope. The site's hosting doesn't do anything to photos. They've all been right side up on my (viewing) end.
I edited it, man.
But it could very well be my computer or something else, and only me seeing the pictures upside down. See below -the first picture I posted, and let me know if it's upside down?

IMG_1532.JPG

I edited it, man.
But it could very well be my computer or something else, and only me seeing the pictures upside down. See below -the first picture I posted, and let me know if it's upside down?

View attachment 17778
That one is upside down. But I can tell you with 100% confidence that this platform software does not alter photos in any way. It doesn't even resize them.

That one is upside down. But I can tell you with 100% confidence that this platform software does not alter photos in any way. It doesn't even resize them.
Ok, thanks.
It's right side up in my MS picture file.
The one I used to correct it, I made it longer from top to bottom. I don't think it's a unique to this site issue. Several sites turn my pictures upside down. I'm sure it's user error, and not the website hosting.

Ok, thanks.
It's right side up in my MS picture file.
The one I used correct it, I made it a longer from top to bottom. I don't think it's a unique to this site issue. Several sites turn my pictures upside down. I'm sure it's user error, and not the website hosting.
Yeah... I've been posting photos on forums for literally decades, and I've never had a site re-orient a photo.

Colts are beautiful revolvers for sure.
Yeah... unless Colt fucks it up at the factory and then fucks it up even more trying to "fix" it. I'll never be able to "unsee" the damage. So, now it sits in the safe.

My Dad's Python was early 1980's vintage. The finish was flawless and the action was butter smooth. I've shot S&Ws as nice but they had $1000 action jobs. The Python was my Dad's crown jewel of his collection. He threatened to beat us, his sons, senseless with our own arms after he ripped them out if anyone of us shot his Python. When we much older, he came storming out of his gun room yelling at us because someone shot his Python. I looked at it and swore I didn't see any burn marks on the nickle plating of the cylinder. I told him Colt test fired it at the factory, that's what he was seeing. He insisted so I blamed my sisters.

Time to hit the gun shows and see if you can sniff out an old used one. The nickel finish is much more of a show piece than polished stainless.

Time to hit the gun shows and see if you can sniff out an old used one.
The used / vintage Pythons are even more expensive. Multiples of a new Python.

I was actually planning to buy one of the new blued Pythons as an addition to this one. Not anymore.

Less than 10 years ago, I saw 2 Diamondbacks on consignment at a nicer gun shop. Both were around a $1000. Last time I checked, these were $300 and nobody wanted a revolver. I asked the guy behind the counter that was a "wife says I have to sell" price? He said no and these would sell quickly for the asking price. I should have bought a bunch of these when they were cheap.

Back