The "Tank" build diary! This thing is going to be nuts!

Racer88

Big Kahuna Admin
Staff member
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
My concept... so far!

This (G17 size) slide:
Tank slide.png

With this extended and ported 6" barrel! It will extend out the front of the slide a fair bit... like a tank turret!
Tank-barrel.jpg

So.... I have black and ODG PF940V2 (G17) frames. Or... a different color would be better?

How about a stealth destroyer?
Stealth-Warship.jpg

Also, I can't believe you see the need to fit a Bar-Sto barrel as a bug and not a feature to be relished as part of the build process. šŸ˜

FWIW I am no marksman but the Bar-Sto barrels I have fitted do make significantly smaller groups in my untrained hands. I could only imagine what they could do for someone who is as deliberate and methodical about their training as you are.

FWIW I am no marksman but the Bar-Sto barrels I have fitted do make significantly smaller groups in my untrained hands. I could only imagine what they could do for someone who is as deliberate and methodical about their training as you are.

They have two levels of barrels. Which one did you get? They have a "semi-fit" and a "match target."

What did you have to do exactly to fit it?

I'm sure I could handle it. But $335 for a barrel was also a bit much, IMO. And I'm not really building this to be a "match grade" or competition gun.

I got the semi-fit barrel. 10mm seems to be really sensitive to feed ramp design. Bar-Sto and KKM have been the most reliable for me so it was worth the expense. I also thought the porting would help with follow up shots but this ended up being too painful for appendix carry so I recently swapped it out for a non-ported barrel.

20230106_203544.jpg

Fitting was pretty easy on the semi-fit. The barrel will not go into battery as delivered. The end user needs to file the front of the barrel hood to fit the length of the slide opening. Once I was happy with the fit I sent the barrel out for a black nitride finish.

Have you looked at Glockstore? They have some Bar-Sto barrels in stock. I get them within a week, you can call to verify that they actually have the item.

I got the semi-fit barrel. 10mm seems to be really sensitive to feed ramp design. Bar-Sto and KKM have been the most reliable for me so it was worth the expense. I also thought the porting would help with follow up shots but this ended up being too painful for appendix carry so I recently swapped it out for a non-ported barrel.

View attachment 11484

Fitting was pretty easy on the semi-fit. The barrel will not go into battery as delivered. The end user needs to file the front of the barrel hood to fit the length of the slide opening. Once I was happy with the fit I sent the barrel out for a black nitride finish.

Have you looked at Glockstore? They have some Bar-Sto barrels in stock. I get them within a week, you can call to verify that they actually have the item.
Which model is that? Chopped grip?

I'll give this "generic" barrel a try. Maybe I'll "upgrade" to a Bar-Sto later.

If I'm going to build a pistol... why make it look like a pistol I can buy at the store? :cool:

^^^ Maybe the new forum slogan?? ^^^ :geek:

Git a looooong little doggy!
- John Wayne...?

That will be that gun's name, The Dachshund. Thanks for the inspiration!

No chopped grip on that one. It is a Lone Wolf "large subcompact" frame. The grip is designed for 10 round G29 or G30 mags. The frame is made for G20, 21, 40 & 41 slides. Sadly they discontinued it as I would like another.

I also took advantage of their Memorial weekend sale and ordered a G41 slide that I might try on there. Research indicates that the G41 is longer than a G21 but shorter than a G40. But Glock trimmed a bunch of weight off of the slide so a complete G41 is actually lighter than a G21. The G41 is also a gen 4 gun, which I like for the ability to use the dual recoil spring. All of the Lone Wolf frames are designed to accept dual recoil springs, which I šŸ’˜ . Plus 10mm conversion barrels are available for 45 cal Glocks so there is a single good reason to get a 45 slide instead of a 10mm slide.
:outta here:

I put the ported, extended Bar-Sto in my G35. The one with three ports. It made shooting .40 even more fun. I believe the G35 was the best, most reliable and accurate shooting .40 handgun ever made.

They have two levels of barrels. Which one did you get? They have a "semi-fit" and a "match target."

What did you have to do exactly to fit it?

I'm sure I could handle it. But $335 for a barrel was also a bit much, IMO. And I'm not really building this to be a "match grade" or competition gun.
The Browning Hi Power in the pic has a Bar-Sto in it. At the time, Bar-Sto was the only game in town for a threaded barrel for this gun.
I got the semi-fit.
The fitting required on mine was all in relation to the width on the chamber area to make it fit into the slide. Not a whole lot, I just stoned each side of the chamber until it fit into the slide. Then a little on the hood until it would lock up into the slide recesses. Probably took 20 minutes of fit and try. Today, Brownells has their own threaded barrel for the Hi Power much cheaper.

m2dAFYb.jpg

Tracking the shipment... Should have the slide tomorrow! That was quick! No word on the barrel, yet.

It's here! It's here! The slide, that is. As crazy over-the-top as it appears in photos... in the hand, I've got to say it's pretty slick! It's very "3D." Lots of "layers" to it. I'll get some good "studio" shots when I get home.
Slide.jpg

The barrel will be here on Thursday.

Last edited:
Alrighty! Some "studio" shots of this slide. The more I look at it, the more I'm impressed. Besides the looks growing on me, the quality of this slide is increasingly evident. It's a finely crafted hunk of metal! There are so many levels of details, it just draws me in!

Slide-1.jpg
Slide-2.jpg
Slide-3.jpg
Slide-4.jpg
Slide-5.jpg

Lone Wolf offers a service to mill it for an optic. But I think that would have ruined the lines of this particular slide.

Here it is mocked up on an ODG frame with another barrel that is slated for my future G17L build. This is NOT the barrel that will be used with this frame. But it's about the same length as the extended & ported barrel that is on the way for this slide. It just gives us an idea of how the extended barrel will look.

Mock-up-1.jpg
Mock-up-2.jpg

Certainly, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder," as they say. And I said earlier that, "If you're going to build a gun, why build one that looks like a gun you can buy at a store?" Well, this one will certainly qualify as such! :geek:

I'm digging it! And I'm thinking ODG is the way to go with the frame. Whattaya'll think?

Last edited:
Back