Vac Bagging Ammunition...

clm2112

Patriot Serving Patriots!
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
Pretty self explanatory. Going to see how well this works out for long term storage of my excess ammunition.

Anyone else vac bagging ammunition?

My first little 100 round bag of joy...

Attachments

• Vac_Bagged_9mm.JPG
    Vac_Bagged_9mm.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 49
I heard that the only time you can have "too much ammo" is if you're swimming or on fire!

Ok, "excess" may not be the best choice of words... ;)

Seriously, I am storing all the ammunition that I don't expect to be used in the next few months. Tonight I finished a batch of 9mm reloading. 500 rounds of 115gr FMJ. All the 9mm magazines are loaded. I've got enough boxed to reload all the magazines twice over, so there is no near-term need for this batch reloads. Hunting season is here, which means I have to curtail my own range use until springtime. So, all the rounds got vacuum bagged and put in an ammo can.

The vac bags are more compact than storing them in boxes. Although, I am a little disappointed with the bags. All of them failed already. The sealing seam is holding, but the bags are leaking. I haven't been able to see where the leak is happening, I'm thinking the sharp edges of the brass. I might have to go looking for thicker bags.

Last edited:
I don't have time right now, have to leave for work shortly. But later I can describe what I used and how I did it to prevent leakage.

Hunting season is here, which means I have to curtail my own range use until springtime.

Pardon my ignorance... what does hunting season have to do with range time?

Pardon my ignorance... what does hunting season have to do with range time?

People out in the woods. Right now is archery season, so they don't have to wear day-glo orange either. I don't remember which PA game law it is, but target practice is not allowed except on Sundays or at clubs and public ranges. There are a few people specifically allowed to hunt on my property, but there is always to off-chance that someone tracking a wounded deer could wander into the line of fire.

Edit: Did a few minutes of digging and found a better explanation from someone else:

The example more or less fits the scenario here.... small farm, lottsa trees, and while I do have a pretty good backstopped an marked out range, it would be subject to the interpretation of the local Game Commissioner were I to put it to the test. So, I just do what my family, and my neighbors, have done for as long as I can remember... don't do target practice on days when hunting season is on.

Last edited:
First, use HD poly tubing. Trying to cheap out and use Ziploc bags won't work. Good enough for your ham and cheese, but not for what we're talking about here.

Use an impulse sealer appropriate to the size tubing used.

Doesn't hurt to throw in a couple of desiccant packs, especially if it's humid when you're doing the sealing. Or at least coat the metal with an anti rust agent.

Experiment with the sealer setting to get a good seal. Too hot, and the edges melt and leak. Not hot enough, and you can pull the seal apart.
If the object has sharp corners, pad the sharp parts with tape so they don't poke a hole in the bag.

To make sure a good seal is achieved, I double seal as illustrated.

Cut the tubing a bit longer than needed to accommodate the contents.
Insert the items.
Double seal each corner. (Sharpie used for photographic purposes.)
1666138790284.png

Then use the crevice tool on your vacuum cleaner to suck the air out and seal the end when the tubing is fully compressed against the contents. This is why you cut the tubing long, so there is room for the crevice tool and the impulse sealer. You can trim it shorter after sealing.
Using this method, the seal is maintained even if the edges melt through.

1666138987681.png

If there's interest, I can seal up some items for show and tell.

First, use HD poly tubing. Trying to cheap out and use Ziploc bags won't work. Good enough for your ham and cheese, but not for what we're talking about here.

Use an impulse sealer appropriate to the size tubing used.

Doesn't hurt to throw in a couple of desiccant packs, especially if it's humid when you're doing the sealing. Or at least coat the metal with an anti rust agent.

Experiment with the sealer setting to get a good seal. Too hot, and the edges melt and leak. Not hot enough, and you can pull the seal apart.
If the object has sharp corners, pad the sharp parts with tape so they don't poke a hole in the bag.

To make sure a good seal is achieved, I double seal as illustrated.

Cut the tubing a bit longer than needed to accommodate the contents.
Insert the items.
Double seal each corner. (Sharpie used for photographic purposes.)
View attachment 6664

Then use the crevice tool on your vacuum cleaner to suck the air out and seal the end when the tubing is fully compressed against the contents. This is why you cut the tubing long, so there is room for the crevice tool and the impulse sealer. You can trim it shorter after sealing.
Using this method, the seal is maintained even if the edges melt through.

View attachment 6665

If there's interest, I can seal up some items for show and tell.
Yes please would love a video showing this.

OK, this turned out to be one of things were you need 3 hands to do it, so no pics of it being done.

Remember I said to experiment with the heat setting? Here's why.

This is what happens when the setting is too low for the thickness of the tubing. You can easily pull the heat seam apart.
1666558302014.png

Turning the control knob up one setting number gives a seam that won't pull apart. The plastic rips before the seam fails.
1666558392093.png

The reason for diagonally sealing the corners is evident. The sealer melts through the plastic at the end of the heating element.
1666558555847.png

Desi-Paks if the item might rust.
These can be recharged in the oven to remove whatever moisture they might have absorbed. The small white ones that come in electronics can also be recharged, but the pouch is Tyvek and an oven setting that does not exceed 245° is required so the pouch doesn't melt.
1666558937754.png

Insert the contents. Try to make the opening as small as the crevice attachment on your vacuum allows. This where the 3 hands comes in. The vacuum tends to wrinkle the plastic. It needs to be held taught while sealing.
1666559809590.png

My crevice attachment. Made for getting under/behind appliances.
1666560027103.png

The end result. Bagged yesterday. Still holding vacuum.
1666560466744.png

Back