What is / are you most unusual gun(s)?

Racer88

Big Kahuna Admin
Staff member
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
"Unusual" is a fairly broad and subjective term. But, it's up to you what it means!

Post your "oddballs" here.
Could be rare or discontinued.
Could be a gun most people hate but you love.
Could be an unconventional design or mechanism.
Could be a controversial piece.
Or maybe just "ugly" or "excessively pretty!"

Here's what I'd call my most "unusual" gun. It's a Chiappa Rhino. Gift from my wife. It's unusual mostly in that it's a revolver that fires from the BOTTOM chamber in the cylinder. The idea is that it reduces felt recoil and muzzle flip. I can tell you that it absolutely works! I can shoot this snubby all day with .38-SPL. Even .357-Mag loads are quite tolerable.
20220924_110536[1].jpg

The hexagonal cylinder is interesting and gives the gun a slightly flatter profile. The "hammer" is actually not a hammer. It's a cocking lever for single-action firing. You pull it back (like a hammer), and it cocks the internal mechanism and then returns to this upright position. Notice the slot cut into the cocking lever. The cocking lever doubles as the rear sight.
20220924_114730[1].jpg

Notice the wide trigger shoe. This makes the trigger feel "lighter" in that it spreads the load on your finger.
Those Speer Gold Dots are kinda pretty, eh?
20220924_114645[1].jpg

OK! What have you got in terms of "unusual" firearms? Let's see them!

Last edited:
This is not unusual, but it is old. Made in 1888. S&W 32cal Lemon Squeezes, also call a bicycle gun. It shoots black powder cartages that I don't reload so I don't shoot but it, but it is a conversation piece.
IMG_1730.JPG

IMG_1731.JPG

If it was a real 2" barrel, this would be worth some big bucks, but it is a 5" cut to a 2", plus it has been blued over rust pits which make its nonoriginal. This would make a perfect lady gun for the purse.

This is not unusual, but it is old. Made in 1888. S&W 32cal Lemon Squeezes, also call a bicycle gun. It shoots black powder cartages that I don't reload so I don't shoot but it, but it is a conversation piece.
View attachment 6210
View attachment 6211
If it was a real 2" barrel, this would be worth some big bucks, but it is a 5" cut to a 2", plus it has been blued over rust pits which make its nonoriginal. This would make a perfect lady gun for the purse.
You should be able to use Trail Boss. That's what it's made for.

I don't have anything weird, but I do have a single shot/bolt action .22LR that was produced before serial numbers were required. It's a rifle my grandfather ordered through a catalog. Lol.

I don't have anything weird, but I do have a single shot/bolt action .22LR that was produced before serial numbers were required. It's a rifle my grandfather ordered through a catalog. Lol.

Is that there one of them "casper guns?" ;)

What do you consider unusual?

Haha! I prefaced the OP with, "Unusual is a fairly broad and subjective term. But, it's up to you what it means!"

So, there ya go. No rules, really. Just a gun you think is "different" or stands out in some way. Could be an uncommon feature. Or an uncommon appearance. Or maybe it's just rare.

Bullpups are kinda weird. This one is sometimes referred to as the "Tuna" because of it's shape.

FNH FS2000
FS2000.jpg

Probably the most unusual one I have was my late father-in-laws. I have a paper documenting his loan to the local historical society which identifies it as a "Japanese Type 99, 7.7mm Arisaka Rifle". He served in the US Army in WWII and was to be part of the invasion of Japan which turned into an occupation mission after a couple of well known bombs were dropped.

I don't have a great setup for photos and this is a rather large rifle. I also have the wooden box he shipped it home in and a letter from the army indicating he had permission to take it.

20220926_151202_ArisakaRifle_Left.jpg
20220926_151224_ArisakaRifle_Right.jpg

I'm afraid I don't have anything "unusual". Those went away a long time ago when I got out of the Class III business.

I suppose the Beretta 93-R machine pistol was fairly unusual, as was the MAC SSSW (Stinger), among others.

Oh, I did buy one of these at a gun show back in the late 80s/early 90s, had never seen one before, nor one since. The Wilkinson Arms "Sherry" in .22 LR (also long gone):

Sherry.jpg

Keep'em coming! Weird, rare, different, funny-looking, special in some way.

While this belonged to a friend, I did have possession of it to make new foam for the case and load some ammo for it.
Original Auto-Mag.

1664225624056.png

1664225649899.png

While this belonged to a friend, I did have possession of it to make new foam for the case and load some ammo for it.
Original Auto-Mag.

View attachment 6263

View attachment 6264
That's awesome! I've never shot one. Brings me back to the early 80's, there used to be a guy in town that had Mack Bolan and his Automag professionally painted on both sides of his pickup. I was in Jr. High and thought that was amazing.

Probably the most unusual one I have was my late father-in-laws. I have a paper documenting his loan to the local historical society which identifies it as a "Japanese Type 99, 7.7mm Arisaka Rifle". He served in the US Army in WWII and was to be part of the invasion of Japan which turned into an occupation mission after a couple of well known bombs were dropped.

I don't have a great setup for photos and this is a rather large rifle. I also have the wooden box he shipped it home in and a letter from the army indicating he had permission to take it.

View attachment 6258View attachment 6259
Does the end of the bolt have a sun engraved on it?
I had one back in the 80s. never shot it

Does the end of the bolt have a sun engraved on it?
I had one back in the 80s. never shot it
Not sure. I'll need to dig it back out and look. I did get a blurred picture of the top of the gun with some sort of symbol and Kanji (or ?) letters.

20220926_151254_ArisakaRifle_BreechArea.jpg

Not mine, but a cool piece I took a photo of while touring the Cody Firearms Museum this summer. If you have the chance, go. 7k firearms in the collection with 4-5k on display at any given time. It takes at least a day...

Attachments

• 20220728_131958.jpg
    20220728_131958.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 39
Not sure. I'll need to dig it back out and look. I did get a blurred picture of the top of the gun with some sort of symbol and Kanji (or ?) letters.

View attachment 6277
That marking is a chrysanthemum, a symbol of the emperor. Only captured rifles still have the "mum". The Japanese ground it off of rifles that were surrendered.

Yep! that's the one I had given to me by my stepfather. He told me never shot it. He said that a number of enemies solders wear found dead with that imprint of the sun from the back of the bolt stamped on their foreheads. I gave it to a friend that wanted to make a lamp out of it.

Back