Who likes lever actions?

Bongo Lewi

Mega-Patriot!
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
Here is the Mother of all Lever Guns

I want this gun just to say I have one.

Interesting.... and expensive!

Who doesn't like some "cowboy" lever-action.... action? I've got only one... at the opposite end of the ballistic spectrum: Browning BL-22 Grade 2
BL-22 Skinner Sights-9081-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg
Browning BL-22-0039.JPG
Browning BL-22-0038.JPG

Last edited:
So you guys wanna play lever gun, eh?

From the top:
All pre-Remington Marlins

45-70
30-30 w/ Scout Scope
30-30
44 Mag.
357 Mag.
22 LR

1679839749560.png

And my latest find:
Savage Model 99 take down in 30-30. Made in 1932.

1679273332195-png.10114

1679273715340-png.10115

So, for those out there that rate the 30-30 as "old", and therefore not to be taken seriously anymore, take a look at Hornady's LeveRevolution ammo. The powder that Hornady uses is Hodgdon's LeveRevolution, and it adds 200 fps to the mix. This ammo elevates the ole 30-30 to 300 Savage performance. And the pointed, soft tip bullets are safe in a tubular magazine and stretch the 30-30's range to 250 yds.

iu

Load your own?
Hodgdon sells the powder, and Hornady sells the bullets in assorted lever gun calibers.

iu

iu

And on a related note...

I got to fondle one of the new Ruger made Marlins at the gun show last month. And just last week, a friend bought one of the same. Haven't seen his yet, but the one I played with looks like Ruger has done well by buying the Marlin brand.
All the faults I observed in Remington made examples such as poor wood to metal fit and crooked front sights are thankfully absent on the Ruger made example. It looked really nice.

Interesting.... and expensive!

Who doesn't like some "cowboy" lever-action.... action? I've got only one... at the opposite end of the ballistic spectrum: Browning BL-22 Grade 2
View attachment 10271View attachment 10272View attachment 10273
I love that maple stock. Browning has a special edition O/U 12 ga with a fancy maple stock. I have been drooling over that for a couple of years. I shoot sporting clays and prefer an over and under. No reason other than tradition.

Nice collection. I like that old savage. I'd have been all over that if I saw that in a shop.

I picked up a Winchester 1906 .22 pump. Made in 1917. Decent condition, but well worn. I highly cleaned and lubricated it. It shoots OK. But mostly I just like looking at it.

I fired a 45-70 once (can't remember the model... some historic military rifle). It hurt more than the .50-cal Barrett. A lot more.
Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad tames it.

Yeah... the rifle I shot had a METAL butt-plate. I think I fired 2 rounds and said, "enough of that shit!" LOL!
When I first bought the 45-70, it had a hard rubber pad on it. I bought 2 boxes of ammo at the show with the gun. Half a box is all I could stand with the factory pad. After putting the Decelerator on it, I shot the remaining 30 rounds no problem.

Would love a .357 lever action one of these days... :)

I hate to admit this but I am liking the POF Tombstone.

Screenshot 2023-04-19 at 8.28.55 PM.png

I also have practiced this move with my Marlin but have not yet perfected it. But I have the look Chuck Connors makes when he reloads totally down. It's hard to find that larger lever hoop as a retrofit/upgrade.

View: https://youtu.be/RsitJZUcFL4

Last edited:
I fired a 45-70 once (can't remember the model... some historic military rifle). It hurt more than the .50-cal Barrett. A lot more.
Why I bought a 45-70: I saw a video where I guy shot it at a boulder that was about 5-6 feet across and it split in half. Lucky shot, soft rock... I didnt care. The 45-70 rounds even look badass. It does kick like a 12 gauge magnum, but that's the charm of it.

Back