Wiha tools are superior to WingWah tools

Bongo Lewi

Mega-Patriot!
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
I have been notably impressed with the quality of these tools. German company. Some of their tools are made in Vietnam and other places that are not China. Wiha claim 90% of their tools are still made in Germany.

A small gun tool kit always accompanies me when away from home. The the Fix-It tools I bought recently are now in that collection for small a adjustments and tightening as required. Also a few carefully selected Wiha tools as well. They look and feel better than most of the tools you find today at the Big Box stores. I'm pretty sure those are all the same - and made in the same Chinese factories.

I'll take Wiha over WingWah any day of the week. I used to be a Craftsman fan but in my opinion the brand has fallen from grace, especially after Sears finally collapsed and sold it off. My Dad's old Craftsman tools are definitely better quality than the new.

I had never heard of them. (Means nothing, of course!) They look nice. Good tools cost money.

And they're PRETTY! Those hex keys look like a certain flag! ;) Not that there's anything wrong with it!
1701608492246.png

Last edited:
Wiha tools are professional grade. I work in an engine plant. The tool setting operation uses large numbers of Wiha torque screwdrivers. I bought 2 Wiha adjustable torque drivers on Ebay. One of them ranges from 2 to 11 inch lbs. and the other 11 to 22 inch lbs. Both receive bits for whatever you're torquing. I use them regularly and they are excellent. They also have dual scales for inch lbs. and Newton Meters.

I have been notably impressed with the quality of these tools. German company. Some of their tools are made in Vietnam and other places that are not China. Wiha claim 90% of their tools are still made in Germany.

A small gun tool kit always accompanies me when away from home. The the Fix-It tools I bought recently are now in that collection for small a adjustments and tightening as required. Also a few carefully selected Wiha tools as well. They look and feel better than most of the tools you find today at the Big Box stores. I'm pretty sure those are all the same - and made in the same Chinese factories.

I'll take Wiha over WingWah any day of the week. I used to be a Craftsman fan but in my opinion the brand has fallen from grace, especially after Sears finally collapsed and sold it off. My Dad's old Craftsman tools are definitely better quality than the new.
Craftsman tools were all made in USA when we were young. Most are made in China now....and they suck. Some good vintage Craftsman tools can be found on Ebay. I favor the round head ratchets with the 1971 patent date. They are outstanding.

Last edited:
Wiha tools are professional grade. I work in an engine plant. The tool setting operation uses large numbers of Wiha torque screwdrivers. I bought 2 Wiha adjustable torque drivers on Ebay. One of them ranges from 2 to 11 inch lbs. and the other 11 to 22 inch lbs. Both receive bits for whatever you're torquing. I use them regularly and they are excellent. They also have dual scales for inch lbs. and Newton Meters.
That confirms my opinion. Good tools are never cheap. I quit buying cheap tools. You end up throwing them away. They wear out quickly or fail and you end up spending more if you replace them with another set of cheap tools.

I buy American if I can find what I'm looking for. Even if it costs more and it usually does. When I can't, I look for non-Chinese makers. I'd rather send money to a German company than the CCP.

I quit buying cheap tools. You end up throwing them away. They wear out quickly or fail and you end up spending more if you replace them with another set of cheap tools.
And cheap tools that don't fit precisely can booger up the screws / bolts / nuts you're working on. And if it slips off the fastener, it can scratch or gouge the rest of the object you're working on.
Season 3 Mistake GIF by The Simpsons

Last edited:
Craftsman tools were all made in USA when we were young. Most are made in China now....and they suck. Some good vintage Craftsman tools can be found on Ebay. I favor the round head ratchets with the 1971 patent date. They are outstanding.

Project Farm does a test on adjustable wrenches including a pair of Craftsmans, one earlier US-made and one current China?-made. The results should not surprise you. One of many content-producers that show up in my feed, I like him because I don't have to turn the speed up in the video because his pace does it for you... :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyOd05PUix4

Project Farm does a test on adjustable wrenches including a pair of Craftsmans, one earlier US-made and one current China?-made. The results should not surprise you. One of many content-producers that show up in my feed, I like him because I don't have to turn the speed up in the video because his pace does it for you... :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyOd05PUix4

Excellent info. I have leaned toward Klein for years, but mostly for their electrician tools. My solar projects involved a lot of wiring.

I bought a set of Crescent slip joints a while back and they seem pretty good. That more or less aligned with PFs findings about that brand. The US vs. China Craftsman comparison was a little depressing. When I get back from my upcoming adventure I'm going to poke around on eBay for some vintage Craftsman tools.

In that context, last year I bought an old Unimat hobby lathe I came across perusing an estate sale. 1960's vintage. I have not had time to play with it. I have wanted one since I was a kid. I remember seeing ads in Popular Mechanics and wondering how I could ever make enough money to buy one. For those unfamiliar, here's a pic. This one is not mine but it is identical. Wood box and everything. Made in Austria. This is a solid piece of equipment. I'm looking forward to putzing around with it in the Spring.

Screenshot 2023-12-04 at 7.14.59 AM.png

Last edited:
Back