Worm compost

Stephen G

Patriot Serving Patriots!
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
I went through all my bins this last week and the bin that did the best over the winter was the garbage bin. It's where I throw everything including old soil, planting seeds that didnt get put down. Ended up with cucumbers and okra growing in it last year. It produce few dozen monsters. Never even checked ph or moisture content. Left it where it got full Georgia sun for several hours a day.
My regular bins never seemed to reach full size but reproduced like mad. Had maybe a dozen 10" ers between 2 bins & millions of 3".
This year I broke down 1 bin into 3 and using as planters/ worm bins. I wont aerate the soil, nothing. Just water as needed, See what happens. Bins are layered 2"soil, 2" dried- nothing green- leaf litter with twigs & brown grass throw in occasionally. About 14" deep.
Planted garlic, cantaloupe, squash, daisys and couple lillys. Plus whatever was stick to my hands from planting everyting else.
I toss a few worms in my Columbine planter.
Think the breed of worm is English Red Wiggler. About the size of a #2 pencil or small snake when mature.

We have tons of red wiggler here; they seem to like the damp area under old leaves. Granddad had a night crawler bed that was awesome. He ran the kitchen sink drain out to a spot that had burlap bags covered with tin in the shade of a big tree. We always had plenty of worms for fishing. Add coffee grounds to you worm beds they like the caffeine boost LOL.

In the garden I burn old leaves and branches along with garden scraps. When spread around the soil in garden it helps the next year croup. My best friend for my garden is birds that eat insects. I have a lot of bird houses; birds eat those white and yellow butterflies that lay eggs that turn into the caterpillars that eat broccoli and cauliflower plants. I don't use a lot of insecticide, so I count on birds. Ladybugs are good for gardens too.

Always preferred not to use chemicals. Im working on a area to have them on ground. Like a small dumpster pad. Bins are bit of a pain.
I have couple mated pairs brown thrashers, mocking birds and atleast pair cat birds a dozens of wrens, finch etc. Plus lots of bees so no chemicals at all. Bunch of lady bugs, mostly Japanese orange 1s but few red/black.
Got these to help nephew with the cost of bait and I have nothing else to do except find new and interesting ways to amuse myself.
Have to.take a pic of 1. Truly monsters. Lil scary truthfully.

I have a fishing buddy that took a old refrigerator, buried it with the door off for a night crawler bed. He walleye fished in the summer.
I took a few years to get established, but it was worth it. The cost of night crawlers made it worthwhile.

Back