Serialized P80 PFC9 - EDC Build Diary

Racer88

Big Kahuna Admin
Staff member
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a new thread for this project. I decided to move up (in size) from my factory Glock 27, which I've carried for many years. When I shot it in the "Dicken Drill," it was a wake-up moment. I was disappointed with my performance, though I was able to "pass" the test. The G27 is a snappy little bugger. And my eyesight is such that I can no longer focus on the front sight.

So, I thought I'd move to a Glock 19 size carry gun with an optic. I have a few choices (I've thought this out):

1. Have my Gen 2 G19 slide milled. Ack! I think I should keep this gun "original."

1a. Get a milled aftermarket slide for the Gen 2 G19. Also ack! Keep the Gen 2 G19 original.

2. Buy a new Glock with an MOS slide. A couple of problems with that... First... the MOS cut requires an adapter plate which places the optic higher from the bore. Alternatively, there is a new Holosun optic that mounts directly to the MOS cut, but it isn't the optic I want (for a few reasons). Also... MOS Glocks are hard to come by. My LGS didn't have any (in ANY model) and didn't know when they would get any. I will say the new G48 was nice in the hand.

3. Buy a new Glock with a standard slide and have it milled. This increases the cost.

4. Build my own! This will be the 4th P80 build for me. As per the advise from Mas Ayoob on his forum on GlockTalk, I'll be using a serialized frame. I can customize it to my tastes. I've got a slide that's already milled for an RMR / Holosun. I will use OEM Glock internal parts (as I do with all my builds). Then, I will test the crap out of it before carrying it. If it performs like my other three builds, it will be flawless and every bit as reliable as a factory Glock. And, it's fun!

Nothing from the factory was quite what I was looking for. So, I thought I'd build my own. I consulted with Mas Ayoob (noted expert) on his thoughts about carrying a P80. His advice: As long as it's serialized. He also advised that the trigger pull be comparable to a factory gun.

On another thread a fellow Patriot Gun Builder pointed me to one for sale at Bud's Gun Shop. $113! Done and done!

I got it today (through my local FFL). Here we go!
20220907_173522[1].jpg

20220907_173552[1].jpg
20220907_173559[1].jpg

The factory channel finishing is ALMOST as good as mine!
20220907_173617[1].jpg

20220907_173651[1].jpg

20220907_173731[1].jpg

This is the "Florida Man Tactical" slide and barrel. Got it through 80P Builders, though. I can't find them on 80P Builders anymore. And, the Florida Man Supply website seems a bit dubious, since there is no actual contact information. No way to contact them at all. Strange. I love the slide, though!
Florida-Man-Slide.jpg

Stay tuned! Plans include getting a Holusun 507C Green ACSS optic. But, first I'll throw some stock Glock sights on it and test the crap out of the rig. I figure 1,000 flawless rounds should be a good litmus test to determine it's worthy of EDC, eh?

Last edited:
Another view of the mockup. I'm really liking the slide.
20220907_202003[1].jpg

I tried in the stock P80 FLBR and rear rails. Perfect fit and holes line up perfectly without "smithing" anything. The slide goes on the rails very smoothly.

This will be my first build using the stock P80 rails. Since they fit perfectly, I might as well save my Rook rails for other builds.

Last edited:
@Racer88 That slide looks fantastic.

I only have two 940C frames, and neither stock FLB dropped in. I went Rook on the first and will try fitting the other before I splurge again.

Stock trigger shoe for this build? You seem to really like that Tyr.

@Racer88 That slide looks fantastic.
I like it. And, it was a good deal. I got it through 80P Builders. But now it's available directly through the manufacturer:

Caveat: I can't find the slides on 80P Builders anymore. And, the Florida Man Supply website seems a bit dubious, since there is no actual contact information. No way to contact them at all. Strange. I love the slide, though! Just a heads-up.

I only have two 940C frames, and neither stock FLB dropped in. I went Rook on the first and will try fitting the other before I splurge again.
But, this isn't a 940C (80%) frame. It's a 100% finished and serialized PFC9. No pin hole drilling. No tab removal. No channel block.

I don't know if or why that should make a difference. But, the FLBR press fit to place - had to get it perfectly squared up with the slots... and then press to place. Same with the rear rail module. Snug all the way in. But, once it was in... PERFECT alignment with the pin holes.

Stock trigger shoe for this build? You seem to really like that Tyr.
Since the plan is for it to become a defensive EDC, I'm going to keep the trigger "stock OEM."

Last edited:
Here's how the "gap" looks with the P80 rails inserted into the frame. I installed only the rear (housing) pin.
20220908_090705[1].jpg
20220908_090724[1].jpg

Alrighty! It's built! I timed it. To polish the parts, assemble, disassemble to adjust sear engagement, re-assemble, function test, safety test (including drop testing)... 2 hours! Remember, I didn't have to do any frame finishing (100% finished / serialized), and it STILL took me 2 hours.

I must SUCK, 'cuz the PRESIDENT said that an 80% "casper gun" can be assembled in 30 minutes!

Photos to follow below.

Function testing! Bed works great to catch snap-caps!
20220908_194636[1].jpg

All OEM internal parts (upper and lower). Initially, the sear was about 50%. I put the "kick-up" of the trigger bar in the vise and gave it a tweak.
20220908_200624[1].jpg

20220908_201406[1].jpg

Rails are the P80 rails. They fit perfectly without touching them. So, I figured I'll save my Rook rails for another build.
20220908_201314[1].jpg

20220908_201328[1].jpg
20220908_201037[1].jpg

I went with the all-black theme. Pins are DLC-coated from Rook Tactical. Slide lock, slide stop, mag catch / release are all from NDZ Performance. I threw some cheap plastic Glock sights on for the testing period. I boogered up the right side of the rear sight with the sight pusher (you can see a dent in it).

A subtle embellishment with a slide backplate - black on black script, "We the People" from Milspin.
20220908_205418[1].jpg

20220908_201116[1].jpg
20220908_201137[1].jpg
20220908_201153[1].jpg

Another tiny bit of embellishment / bling on an otherwise "below the radar" gun - Tattered Flag on the mag catch.
20220908_201202[1].jpg

20220908_201236[1].jpg

After testing... at least 500 rounds... maybe 1000, it will be worthy of carry, I think. I plan to put a Holosun optic on it.

Whattaya think? I'm diggin it! Very happy with it!

Last edited:
Function testing! Bed works great to catch snap-caps!
View attachment 5864

All OEM internal parts (upper and lower). Initially, the sear was about 50%. I put the "kick-up" of the trigger bar in the vise and gave it a tweak.
View attachment 5865

View attachment 5874
View attachment 5872
View attachment 5873 View attachment 5866
I went with the all-black theme. Pins are DLC-coated from Rook Tactical. Slide lock, slide stop, mag catch / release are all from NDZ Performance. I threw some cheap plastic Glock sights on for the testing period. I boogered up the right side of the rear sight with the sight pusher (you can see a dent in it). Slide backplate is a black on black script, "We the People" from Milspin.

View attachment 5867View attachment 5868View attachment 5869View attachment 5870
View attachment 5871

After testing... at least 500 rounds... maybe 1000, it will be worthy of carry, I think. I plan to put a Holosun optic on it.

Whattaya think? I'm diggin it! Very happy with it!
This really turned out awesome! what a great pistol! Looking forward to your range report!

Looks great. Good job.
Can you expound on Mas’ advise to make sure it’s serialized?
Legal gun, good shoot what difference would it make?

Somebody tries to kill you and you defend yourself properly what difference would no serial number make?

Looks great. Good job.
Can you expound on Mas’ advise to make sure it’s serialized?
Legal gun, good shoot what difference would it make?

Somebody tries to kill you and you defend yourself properly what difference would no serial number make?

My discussion with Mas:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Instead of having one of my 80% frames serialized by an FFL (and having to search for one that would do it)... I decided to just buy a serialized (100%) P80 frame. It was only $113. Done and done.

Last edited:
--------------------------------------------------------------

Instead of having one of my 80% frames serialized by an FFL (and having to search for one that would do it)... I decided to just buy a serialized (100%) P80 frame. It was only $113. Done and done.

Kinda makes sense. Kinda doesn’t. Like a coin I guess there are two sides. If it’s a gun you legally built and the use of it in a SD situation is cut and dry I don’t see how it could hurt you to not be serialized. But if there is any question I can see how a zealous prosecutor could try to use it against you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda makes sense. Kinda doesn’t. Like a coin I guess there are two sides. If it’s a gun you legally built and the use of it in a SD situation is cut and dry I don’t see how it could hurt you to not be serialized. But if there is any question I can see how a zealous prosecutor could try to use it against you.

I agree. I figure, for a few extra bucks and a background check... I can hedge my bets.

I tried in the stock P80 FLBR and rear rails. Perfect fit and holes line up perfectly without "smithing" anything. The slide goes on the rails very smoothly.
Hmm very tempting to get on the serialized ban wagon. Of course, If I get it I would put my name all over it so there wouldn't be a need for a serial number but...

Maybe I will wait for serialized Strike80

Last edited:
That looks great! Are you going to remove the mold marks from the grip area? That would look even better. ;)

Back