Serialized P80 PFC9 - EDC Build Diary

When you buy a serialized frame, do the rails just drop right in, or require the usual modifications?
Lastly, do you notice the pins going in more smoothly than the ones you drilled your own?

When you buy a serialized frame, do the rails just drop right in, or require the usual modifications?
Lastly, do you notice the pins going in more smoothly than the ones you drilled your own?

The P80 rails dropped right in without touching them. So, I didn't "waste" a set of Rook rails on it.

The pins went in smoothly / easily. I actually like my pins a bit tighter. But, everything went together very nicely.

Update! Got the definitive / permanent iron sights for it. These are the Steel City Arsenal Mid Height Fiber Optic Sights. They should work out as 1/3 co-witness with the planned Holosun 507 optic.
20220922_175151[1].jpg
20220922_175223[1].jpg
20220922_175248[1].jpg

I really like them! At least here at home. We'll see how I like'em on the range. This future EDC is shaping up!

The P80 rails dropped right in without touching them. So, I didn't "waste" a set of Rook rails on it.

The pins went in smoothly / easily. I actually like my pins a bit tighter. But, everything went together very nicely.
Do the rear rails look the same? I'm wondering if they tweaked the frame or the rails for them to just drop in. It's interesting that they don't on a non serialized, but on a serialized they do.

Do the rear rails look the same? I'm wondering if they tweaked the frame or the rails for them to just drop in. It's interesting that they don't on a non serialized, but on a serialized they do.

Well, this is an example of ONE. :) So, I don't think we can make a claim that they all work that way.

Today, the EDC build passed the 500 malfunction-free rounds barrier. 875 rounds total fired.

I think I'm going to extend it to 750 flawless rounds as the goal.

Passed the 700 round mark with no malfunctions today. I think this thing is good to go! 1,075 rounds fired in total. I haven't cleaned it, yet!

New sights on it. And, I tried a new grip technique today in hopes of curing my low-left demon. It's Mas Ayoob's "wedge grip." I think I did better. Though, my "excuse" is having to get used to new sights and a new grip technique.

My build on the left with Steel City Arsenal sights. Not my hands or gun on the right! (Those are Mas Ayoob's hands demonstrating the "wedge grip."
1664131817103.png

But, I'm still pushing a bit left. But not so much LOW-left, now. I think I need more time working with this new grip technique.
1664130084318.png

OR... is it the rear sight? I need to put the pistol on a bench rest to confirm zero. It appears to be centered on the slide. But, next time out, I'll use my bench rest to check it. This thing is great. Reviewed it here.
CTK-bench-rest.jpg

1664130916791.png

Last edited:
Holster and optic (Holosun 507 with ACSS reticle) have been ordered! The last pieces of the new EDC puzzle! I also just received some new Federal HST 124-gr ammo for it.
ammo-shipment.jpg

Last edited:
The next to the last piece of the puzzle arrived today. The optic. The new Holosun 507 with the Vulcan ACSS reticle (green).
20220929_165235[1].jpg
20220929_162621[1].jpg
20220929_162642[1].jpg
20220929_162706[1].jpg
20220929_162753[1].jpg

The last piece of the new EDC puzzle is the holster. That may be a couple weeks out before it arrives.

Last edited:
The Vulcan ACSS reticle is cool as shit.
Holosun-Vulcan-ACSS.jpg

OK... I just made this infographic. Not easy to get these shots. And, there's no way to get the reticle perfectly sharp with the camera, apparently. But, you can see it well enough to demonstrate how the new Holosun 507C with the "Vulcan ACSS" reticle works.

Vulcan-ACSS-Reticle-Demo.jpg

Pretty cool, eh?

Last edited:
Success with the new optic. A couple of flinchy-fliers there! LOL!
20220930_105614[1].jpg

No malfunctions.... except one weird thing. I decided to fire a few rounds from my current EDC spare mag (HST +P 147-gr). I fired off about 6 or 7 rounds. Then decided to quit. Dropped the mag (partially full). Then I tried to manually eject the remaining chambered round, and the slide wouldn't budge. I pulled hard. No dice! Tried again. Fail! It was not coming out that way.

So with the mag still out, I figured I'd just fire that last round and see what happens. Bang! And the shell extracted and ejected normally.

What gives? Any ideas? I'm thinking bullet length has something to do with it. I'm going to compare them.

Last edited:
Looks like you need to make up two hats with "DE" on them... ;)

Just ran the numbers... 890 rounds without a malfunction. I think it's "good to go!"

Now I wait on the holster!

What holster?

I wanted a hybrid (leather / kydex) holster, so there were very few to choose from. Of my 2 preferred companies... Crossbreed doesn't make P80 holsters, and White Hat Holsters went out of business. After searching around, I settled on Vedder Holsters. Hopefully, they will be as good.

Another view of the mockup. I'm really liking the slide.
View attachment 5849

I tried in the stock P80 FLBR and rear rails. Perfect fit and holes line up perfectly without "smithing" anything. The slide goes on the rails very smoothly.

This will be my first build using the stock P80 rails. Since they fit perfectly, I might as well save my Rook rails for other builds.
Even though the p80 rails fit, there is still a design flaws that can cause the trigger to feel mushy and heavy, as well as potentially lead to the magwell/ triggerhousing wall breaking. By using only a small tab to pinch the trigger housing, it allows the housing to twist ever so slightly with each function of the trigger. This can cause stress on the wall leading to a breakage that can decomission the frame prematurely. The rook rails solve this issue by making the lower portion of the right rear rail thicker making it a wedge fit across a larger area. Creating a pocket more like an oem frame, eliminating all trigger housing movement and helping to make the trigger a little lighter and more crisp. But that's just my two cents.

Even though the p80 rails fit, there is still a design flaws that can cause the trigger to feel mushy and heavy, as well as potentially lead to the magwell/ triggerhousing wall breaking. By using only a small tab to pinch the trigger housing, it allows the housing to twist ever so slightly with each function of the trigger. This can cause stress on the wall leading to a breakage that can decomission the frame prematurely. The rook rails solve this issue by making the lower portion of the right rear rail thicker making it a wedge fit across a larger area. Creating a pocket more like an oem frame, eliminating all trigger housing movement and helping to make the trigger a little lighter and more crisp. But that's just my two cents.

Hmmm... that's interesting! Maybe I'll throw a set of Rook rails in there as "insurance." Thanks!

OH Snap!!! @KillSwitchCustoms in the house~ Love your custom frames and I have been linking your vids for quick help. Thank you for all you do (y) đź‘Ź :love:

I just swapped them out. Easy-peasy. Yeah... that wall is pretty thin, eh?

Any reason to swap the front locking block / rails in this case?

I need to stock up on some more Rook rails!

Last edited:
Back