Elon Musk wants Tesla Model Y drivers to pay to unlock more range

Racer88

Big Kahuna Admin
Staff member
Exchange Privileges
Reaction score
Bwahahaahaahaaaaaaaaa!
Musk said in a post on X that Model Y vehicles built over the past few months have an extra 40 to 60 miles of range that can be unlocked, depending on the battery.

Musk said Tesla would charge an extra $1,500 to $2,000 for the upgrade and that he's "working through regulatory approvals to enable" the new range.

Here's how much sympathy I have for the folks that fall for this shit....
Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Last edited:
So, now in addition to range anxiety, there is range blackmail? 😡
Just one more reason to not buy a Tesla.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? If the battery has the ability to give range it should have been available up front. Not winning me over. I'll keep my gas powered vehicles. May even trade my V6 RS Camaro in on a V8 SS ;)

So, unless they pay the "ransom," EV owners are paying for the electricity to charge the battery to 100% but only get to use PART of that electricity when the battery discharges.

Imagine you pay to fill the gas tank, but the car manufacture limits how many gallons can be used to propel the car... But, they'll "unlock" that last few gallons (that you PAID for to put IN the tank), if you pay them an additional ransom.

Perhaps a better analogy.... Your Toyota / Ford / GM / Honda gas (ICE) car will stop when the tank has 1/4 left. If you want to be able to use that last 1/4 of the tank, you pay extra to the car manufacturer.

You'd have to be a moron to buy that car.

Last edited:
Not sure how many electronically controlled combustion engines HP ratings is not much more than programing that many pay dearly for the option of 1's and 0's alteration.
Sure it's different but, all it is, is pay for xxx options play.

My latest gripe with ICE cars and computer-controls are the numbnuts with "pop" tunes. :mad:

For context, FL does not have periodic vehicle safety or emission inspections. Other than making possible many more unsafe (un-inspected) shitboxes on the road, it allows assholes to remove catalytic converters and exhaust systems to make their cars obnoxiously loud. While illegal on a federal level, the state does not enforce as a routine. A cop CAN pull over and ticket a loud car but they have to witness and be motivated to do so. And have the dB meter in their car... :rolleyes:

fl316.272.JPG

While an un-muffled and un-catted exhaust (ie: "straight pipe") will make the car much louder, a well-running car should not crackle, bang or pop excessively with a factory tune. To achieve the "gun fire" noise, a car must be de-tuned so it dumps excessive fuel on decel, which then ignites in the hot exhaust system causing a "BANG", often many in succession. This is called a "pop tune" and TOO many shops are doing it with the aid of a laptop and program on it and little to no legal repercussion from the state.

Dumbasses gladly pay $500 to become an asshole on the road. :mad: You'll hear them accelerate, then let off the gas, then "BANGBANGBANG BANGBANG" then they do it again and again--DELIBERATELY! :poop: When I used to be more active on FB, when some cocksuck asked for recommendations for such a tune, I would demand they run the exhaust pipe INTO the passenger compartment so they could hear the noise better! :devilish:

I've mentioned that the law needs to be beefed up or amended to my state rep but he is more concerned with outlawing abortion... :rolleyes: (rant over)

BMW used to charge $18 a month to use the heated seats in their cars, but I see they stopped that in late 2023

If the upcharge for extended MPC (miles per charge) is a one time thing I'd probably pay it, IF I had a tesla, but I am ICE all the way :)

It's probably due to software updates and a "found" efficiency?

<edit> I looked back, and OUCH, 1500 to 2000? No thanks.

My extra charge for the big engine in the truck doesn't seem silly after all :)

BMW used to charge $18 a month to use the heated seats in their cars, but I see they stopped that in late 2023
I had heard about the "subscriptions" for German car features. But $18 / mo for heated seats!?? Wow.

My Subaru has heated front AND back seats... AND a heated steering wheel. No subscription fees for features built into the car.

Yeah, my trucks and suvs (all GM) have had that for several years too.

For context, FL does not have periodic vehicle safety or emission inspections. Other than making possible many more unsafe (un-inspected) shitboxes on the road, it allows assholes to remove catalytic converters and exhaust systems to make their cars obnoxiously loud.

Florida didn't do safety inspections... just emissions. They never inspected my lights, turn signals, or anything like that. It was just a sensor up the tailpipe. And they found that it made no measurable environmental impact. In a VERY uncharacteristic move by the gov't, they eliminated a useless department and tax on the people.

I was one of the "assholes" to remove THREE catalytic converters on my Subaru STI. Removing catalytic converters isn't for a change in sound. It's to improve performance by removing the restrictions. To change the sound, it's a different exhaust / muffler system.... which I also did. :devilish: Though, mine was not "obnoxiously" loud. It just had a nice "growl" to it.

In app purchases on mobile phones are basically the same thing. You want the feature, you pay for it. You dont, you dont. No big deal. I think it’s an interesting idea.

My M3 (V8, naturally aspirated) was governed to not go over 155 mph. I tested that driving across North Dakota. Sure nuff it was true. I’m pretty sure it had more to give. I paid for all that car could do and somebody decided I couldn’t use it all. It might have been my desire to unlock that limitation. But it’s not a legitimate option and doing so yourself would void the warranty.

Last edited:
In app purchases on mobile phones are basically the same thing. You want the feature, you pay for it. You dont, you dont. No big deal. I think it’s an interesting idea.

My M3 (V8, naturally aspirated) was governed to not go over 155 mph. I tested that driving across North Dakota. Sure nuff it was true. I’m pretty sure it had more to give. I paid for all that car could do and somebody decided I couldn’t use it all. It might have been my desire to unlock that limitation. But it’s not a legitimate option and doing so yourself would void the warranty.
It probably has to do with the speed rating on the tires.

It probably has to do with the speed rating on the tires.
Could be. Or some government regulation. But it’s still a constraint. I wasn’t terribly upset about that since there are few opportunities to drive anywhere near that speed. Just an example that I paid for performance I was restricted from using. A mechanic at the dealer told me the German market version didnt have that governor activated.

Instead of having to decide on options when you buy a car and then living with them for the life of the car, you can add or delete all manner of options in software as your needs or desires change. I think it’s cool idea.

My M3 (V8, naturally aspirated) was governed to not go over 155 mph.

Similarly, Japanese auto manufacturers have a gentleman's agreement to limit horsepower for JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) cars.

In app purchases on mobile phones are basically the same thing. You want the feature, you pay for it.
Not the same thing at all, IMO. The car CAME with heated seats installed... and DEactivated (and held for ransom). Mind you... the consumers aren't being deceived. They know what they're buying.

But I think the consumers' tolerance for such nickel and diming is limited and reaching its limits. To wit... they reversed the decision to charge extra for unlocking the already-INSTALLED heated seats.

The "in app" purchase is not a matter of unlocking what is already on my phone. They are not pre-existing features on my phone. They apply to ADDITIONAL apps that I've intentionally installed (after the purchase of the phone) for the very purpose of buying those ADDITIONAL features.

In most cases, in-app purchases apply to FREE apps that offer a taste of what the paid app can do.

In-app purchases are more akin to purchasing additional accessories for my car that did not come ON the car when I purchased it.

Last edited:
In many cases, the function is already in the app. The purchase turns it on. The notion that you are adding something is usually not the case.

App Developers purposely assure that the free version of the app is pretty much useless and consumers will buy a certain feature set , frequently after a trial. It’s common that you get to use a feature for a few days then it quits working until you pay for it.

All the code is already there. Waiting to be enabled.

The concept of a plug in is more like the scenario you described. Often but not always a third party bolt on accessory, enhancement.

Car enthusiasts seem to reject the concept of a vehicle as a service vs something you purchase and own. I like old cars and bikes as a pastime but on the other hand … if it’s just a commuter car I don’t give a rip about how it works. I want to get in and go. Zero maintenance and if it can safely drive itself to where I’m going, great. I’ll tell the car to wake me up five minutes before arrival.

I can count the number of people I know who can work on a car and understand how they work on one hand. The average consumer doesn’t care. Cars as a subscription or service is going to be common in the not too distant future. Musk knows this and as usual he’s miles ahead of everyone else.

I fired my pool guy. Started doing it myself. Then I bought a robotic pool cleaner. Because pool maintenance does not bring me joy. I also dispense chemicals with a device that is designed to do that. All I have to do is put the chemicals in it every so often. And charge the cleaner machine. If there was a robot to do those maintenance functions that I’d get one of those too.

Yes, but what if there’s an emp? Who gives a shit. If that happens everybody is dead anyway. Have a drink and wait for death :)

Last edited:

Not into looking up who has and who hasn't.
Some US cars are speed limited to 110mph or so.

In many cases, the function is already in the app. The purchase turns it on. The notion that you are adding something is usually not the case.
Yes. But you misunderstood. The APP isn't there when I bought the phone. I've ADDED or installed the app, usually for free and usually as a way to see if I like the app while knowing there are added benefits or features with the in-app purchase.

But the phone didn't come with the app already installed, and the phone wasn't advertised as having the features provided by the AFTERmarket app.

Car enthusiasts seem to reject the concept of a vehicle as a service vs something you purchase and own.

Absolutely correct. For the same reason I reject the notion that an "association" can tell me what color I can paint my house, or which type of roof I can install, or which kind of vehicle I can park in the driveway, or whether I can plant a tree here or over there. It's MY house. I bought it. I am the king of that house... and my car. It's why I would never lease a car and never live in an HOA.

Call me "old fashioned."
unimpressed morgan freeman GIF

Last edited:
My latest gripe with ICE cars and computer-controls are the numbnuts with "pop" tunes. :mad:

For context, FL does not have periodic vehicle safety or emission inspections. Other than making possible many more unsafe (un-inspected) shitboxes on the road, it allows assholes to remove catalytic converters and exhaust systems to make their cars obnoxiously loud. While illegal on a federal level, the state does not enforce as a routine. A cop CAN pull over and ticket a loud car but they have to witness and be motivated to do so. And have the dB meter in their car... :rolleyes:

View attachment 19573

While an un-muffled and un-catted exhaust (ie: "straight pipe") will make the car much louder, a well-running car should not crackle, bang or pop excessively with a factory tune. To achieve the "gun fire" noise, a car must be de-tuned so it dumps excessive fuel on decel, which then ignites in the hot exhaust system causing a "BANG", often many in succession. This is called a "pop tune" and TOO many shops are doing it with the aid of a laptop and program on it and little to no legal repercussion from the state.

Dumbasses gladly pay $500 to become an asshole on the road. :mad: You'll hear them accelerate, then let off the gas, then "BANGBANGBANG BANGBANG" then they do it again and again--DELIBERATELY! :poop: When I used to be more active on FB, when some cocksuck asked for recommendations for such a tune, I would demand they run the exhaust pipe INTO the passenger compartment so they could hear the noise better! :devilish:

I've mentioned that the law needs to be beefed up or amended to my state rep but he is more concerned with outlawing abortion... :rolleyes: (rant over)
Being as i come from a street racing history, and currently getting back into it, and being a lifelong Automotive Technician with several speciality certifications relating to high performance, I could mention the true purpose behind those "pop and bang" tunes, but it would be a moot point being as alot of people are doing it nowadays just for the noise, not the actual gains/purposes behind it.

Back