Fake Meat eeewwww !

Preper/survival foods these days is not awful. They are not the MREs of the past and are actually pretty tasty if good quality products are purchased. Many people dehydrate or freeze dry their own foods from the garden or live stock and make their own packaged meals…they are very good and nutritious.

Just for grins, I once made pemmican from a recipe I found online. Old school pioneer-era survival food. It wasnt so bad. What got me interested is my point of view that barricading or any form of fortress is a bad idea if the SHTF. In that unlikely event, I'd prefer to be agile and keep moving. So I went looking for what explorers, pioneers and adventurers ate in the days before refrigeration. I read a lot about eating what you can find/foraging as well. Plants, bugs, critters. Hope I never have to apply that learning. Like I said before my preference is a martini, a steak and a nice red. But it pays to be prepared for anything.

my point of view that barricading or any form of fortress is a bad idea if the SHTF. In that unlikely event, I'd prefer to be agile and keep moving.
My belief is the exact opposite. I would never "bug out" unless it was a last resort. I'm "bugging IN." It will be a LOT easier to defend my family from our house than out in the open, on the road, etc. No way I'm going "out there" or "on the move." I can keep WAY more provisions with me in my home that I can carry "out there on the move."

And how far am I going to get in a POV? Until the gas runs out... then we're on foot. No bueno! Or I run into a road block of bad guys? No thanks.

Last edited:
I'm not the least bit paranoid or a predictor of doom. But I do amuse myself with imagining what I would do if... whatever IF happens to be.

Most people live in populated areas. If order really broke down, I would not bet on neighbors rallying to defend their town or neighborhoods. The gangs or other threats will go there. Because that where stuff is. Food, fuel, women, guns, whatever they are looking for. I want to be where they aren't looking because there's nothing of value to them there. It's difficult to leave everything behind. But I have no desire to be killed by marauders defending my castle. They can have it. I'll live to fight another day.

I think digging in is a mistake. You don't have to permanently sleep on the ground - as in not have shelter. But wherever you go I believe you do have to be ready to leave it. Most importantly, be able to see bad guys coming and have the time and a plan to get away. Agile.

I've been camped out in some very remote wildernesses - on a couple of occasions for a couple of weeks. What you have is what you could carry. I managed to be reasonably comfortable. How would it be if it were months? Difficult for sure. But if the alternative was being killed I could handle the inconveniences.

Is humanity's future something like Mad Max? Probably not. I think it's more likely a meteor hits the Earth and wipes us out. If that happens. I'd just stay home, grill a steak, enjoy my last martini and hope my house is at ground zero.
Screenshot 2023-06-27 at 6.11.51 PM.png

Last edited:
I'm not the least bit paranoid or a predictor of doom. But I do amuse myself with imagining what I would do if... whatever IF happens to be.

Most people live in populated areas. If order really broke down, I would not bet on neighbors rallying to defend their town or neighborhoods. The gangs or other threats will go there. Because that where stuff is. Food, fuel, women, guns, whatever they are looking for. I want to be where they aren't looking because there's nothing of value to them there. It's difficult to leave everything behind. But I have no desire to be killed by marauders defending my castle. They can have it. I'll live to fight another day.

I think digging in is a mistake. You don't have to permanently sleep on the ground - as in not have shelter. But wherever you go I believe you do have to be ready to leave it. Most importantly, be able to see bad guys coming and have the time and a plan to get away. Agile.

I've been camped out in some very remote wildernesses - on a couple of occasions for a couple of weeks. What you have is what you could carry. I managed to be reasonably comfortable. How would it be if it were months? Difficult for sure. But if the alternative was being killed I could handle the inconveniences.

Is humanity's future something like Mad Max? Probably not. I think it's more likely a meteor hits the Earth and wipes us out. If that happens. I'd just stay home, grill a steak, enjoy my last martini and hope my house is at ground zero.
View attachment 11928

I live in a "semi-rural" area outside of the city. Where I live is "redneck-ville" in an area that is otherwise VERY "blue." The marauders / zombies would be very foolish to come to my neighborhood... we are ALL armed. And I suspect they know it.

It just reminded me of this great comedy bit about rednecks (and a foreign invasion).

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/FcJ9Pg0Y9kg?feature=share

I believe most of my neighbors have also been "waiting for just such an occasion!" LOL!

Last edited:
I believe most of my neighbors have also been "waiting for just such an occasion!" LOL!
I hear that a lot whenever this topic comes up. I hope it's true but I don't share the same faith in the ability or bravery under fire of the average Joe. Some might rise to the occasion but most not. Under the best of circumstances I think they would lack the discipline to fight as a unit. As someone once said, all plans are good until the first shot is fired. I've thought about this quite a bit and I like my odds as an irregular. Hit and run. Mostly run. If I had to fight, I like my chances as a guerilla.

I can still see and shoot well enough to ring steel at 600 yards without making a project of it and taking all day. With a decent but not fancy bolt action. The main topic here is food. But what else would anyone put in their kit? I have two identical bug outs and a smaller kit for those days that stop short of SHTF but you may need something heavier than your EDC.

Separate thread?

I hear that a lot whenever this topic comes up. I hope it's true but I don't share the same faith in the ability or bravery under fire of the average Joe. Some might rise to the occasion but most not. Under the best of circumstances I think they would lack the discipline to fight as a unit. As someone once said, all plans are good until the first shot is fired. I've thought about this quite a bit and I like my odds as an irregular. Hit and run. Mostly run. If I had to fight, I like my chances as a guerilla.

I can still see and shoot well enough to ring steel at 600 yards without making a project of it and taking all day. With a decent but not fancy bolt action. The main topic here is food. But what else would anyone put in their kit? I have two identical bug outs and a smaller kit for those days that stop short of SHTF but you may need something heavier than your EDC.

Separate thread?

Yeah. We have a section just for that topic, too:

Survival / Prepping

Back to food. Check this out. The science of cooking according to a guy who is a certifiable genius.

Y'all gettin' hungry?
It's about that time of day to start thinking about what's up for dinner tonight.

Triangle-Dinner-Bell.jpg

Chow time!

(Yes, the links below are real!)
1f92e.png

Me has to wonder if they harvest crickets from the local Walmart after they're smashed up on the asphalt parking lot from the car tires. Can you recall that smell?

Entomo Farms, the largest cricket farm in North America, produces cricket flour, cricket powder, and insect protein. The startup Exo uses Entomo’s cricket powder to produce high-protein, low-sugar energy bars, which come in five different flavors. (File Photo)

140515-078-1200x847.jpg

Grandma's Southern Cooking Recipes

logo_cricket.png

GRANTING WISHES FOR DELICIOUS CRICKET DISHES​

Cricket Powder Salsa
Ingredients:

• 1 can diced tomatoes drained
  • Half orange pepper
  • Half green pepper
  • Handful of fresh cilantro
  • 3-4 cloves of Garlic
  • Half purple onion
  • 3 Green onions
  • 1 hot pepper of your choice (banana, jalapeno)
  • 2 Tablespoons Cricket Powder
  • Salt to taste

salsa-768x1024.jpg.webp

Berry Cricket Ice Pops​

The perfect ending to a long day at school! Your kids will come racing through the door to grab a Berry Cricket Ice Pop from the freezer. They are so smooth and delicious, and thanks to the cricket powder, they give your kids that extra boost of energy that they need to get through the rest of their day without totally melting down. Check out our other recipes in our Back to School Super Snack Series!

cricket-pops-1.jpg.webp

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vaeEE7g4Fw

Last edited:
Y'all gettin' hungry?
It's about that time of day to start thinking about what's up for dinner tonight.

Triangle-Dinner-Bell.jpg

Chow time!

(Yes, the links below are real!)
1f92e.png

Me has to wonder if they harvest crickets from the local Walmart after they're smashed up on the asphalt parking lot from the car tires. Can you recall that smell?

Entomo Farms, the largest cricket farm in North America, produces cricket flour, cricket powder, and insect protein. The startup Exo uses Entomo’s cricket powder to produce high-protein, low-sugar energy bars, which come in five different flavors. (File Photo)

140515-078-1200x847.jpg

Grandma's Southern Cooking Recipes

logo_cricket.png

GRANTING WISHES FOR DELICIOUS CRICKET DISHES​

Cricket Powder Salsa
Ingredients:

• 1 can diced tomatoes drained
  • Half orange pepper
  • Half green pepper
  • Handful of fresh cilantro
  • 3-4 cloves of Garlic
  • Half purple onion
  • 3 Green onions
  • 1 hot pepper of your choice (banana, jalapeno)
  • 2 Tablespoons Cricket Powder
  • Salt to taste

salsa-768x1024.jpg.webp

Berry Cricket Ice Pops​

The perfect ending to a long day at school! Your kids will come racing through the door to grab a Berry Cricket Ice Pop from the freezer. They are so smooth and delicious, and thanks to the cricket powder, they give your kids that extra boost of energy that they need to get through the rest of their day without totally melting down. Check out our other recipes in our Back to School Super Snack Series!

cricket-pops-1.jpg.webp

Nooooooooope! Hard pass.

Back