My son just signed with the USMC.

You need to buy him this movie on DVD. A little dated (1985, soviet "enemy") or maybe not... ;) debay search

Spieslikeusposter.jpg

We just got home with our shiny new Marine! An awesome experience. But 3 long days around Parris Island... holy moly! We did it all!

We got to meet his drill instructors at a special dinner. That was very cool. And after the graduation, I followed my son around on his "goodbye tour" with his mates... It was very heartening to see the genuine respect and admiration they had for our son.

We just got home with our shiny new Marine! An awesome experience. But 3 long days around Parris Island... holy moly! We did it all!

We got to meet his drill instructors at a special dinner. That was very cool. And after the graduation, I followed my son around on his "goodbye tour" with his mates... It was very heartening to see the genuine respect and admiration they had for our son.
Welcome home Racer and family, including your son, a United States Marine! (y) (y) 🇺🇲

Intelligence MIGHT be safer... That just means, if he is sent downrange, he will be one of the guys, the government downplays as a training accident, if they even claim him at all if he falls behind lines.

Congrats though...... Enough talk... Post up a pic of the new Marine!

My previous post, and Michelle agreeing made me think and realize.... I wonder how a pic thread would go over on here... Not necessarily me, but it does make it even easier/more comfortable talking to someone when you can put a face to name. Even if it is social media..

Intelligence MIGHT be safer... That just means, if he is sent downrange, he will be one of the guys, the government downplays as a training accident, if they even claim him at all if he falls behind lines.

I suspect Racer may not want to post a picture of his USMC son and future Intelligence MOS Marine at that on social media. If it were my family member, I wouldn't either. 🤔

My previous post, and Michelle agreeing made me think and realize.... I wonder how a pic thread would go over on here... Not necessarily me, but it does make it even easier/more comfortable talking to someone when you can put a face to name. Even if it is social media..
We've done it on another forum I moderate/admin for with not a lot of response. 🤔

He already post a photo of the young man on here signing up. Not a big deal IMO.

As to posting a photo of myself…. That’d be me at around 6 yrs old. Not showing my current face anywhere. I keep a low profile on line. Google may have 1 or 2 files but they are not easy to locate unless someone knows specifics about me.

He already post a photo of the young man on here signing up. Not a big deal IMO.

As to posting a photo of myself…. That’d be me at around 6 yrs old. Not showing my current face anywhere. I keep a low profile on line. Google may have 1 or 2 files but they are not easy to locate unless someone knows specifics about me.
That was an indirect/side view that didn't show his face clearly and I agree with you about not showing my current likeness anywhere (e.g., I didn't participate in that thread on the forum I moderate/admin for either). 🤠

Last edited:

Believe me... I understand. I served in a support role, not a "combat" role... yet I was on a combat ship. If a missile hit the ship, it would not distinguish between combat roles vs support roles. I was IN theater. Therefore at risk.

That said... I'll still take the survival odds of a Communications Intelligence / Electronic Warfare Operator (2621) over an Infantry Rifleman (0311).

Last edited:
As for a photo... as much as I would LOVE to do that - I'm quite proud and really would... probably not a good idea.

You'll just have to trust me on this... He could be a model for a USMC recruiting poster! He makes that uniform look good! :)

Last edited:
Oh yeah ! Let’s see him in all the glory of that hot marine uniform

Here you go! :D

newboot.jpg

Reminds me of when my brother completed boot decades ago. For these pics there were jackets and hats they donned for the pictures, then took off and the next guy or gal would put them on for the pic...

As for a photo... as much as I would LOVE to do that - I'm quite proud and really would... probably not a good idea.

You'll just have to trust me on this... He could be a model for a USMC recruiting poster! He makes that uniform look good! :)
True dat! 🤠

While he got the platoon "Iron Man," he missed getting the company "Iron Man" award by only 2 points. The company iron man got recognized at graduation. He missed it by 18 seconds (in the 3-mile run).

He's very competitive by nature, so that bugged him. But 2nd place out of 277 Marines is pretty good, eh?

Last edited:
About an hour ago, I sent my son off at the airport. After boot camp, he got 10 days of leave and then 20 days of "Recruiting Assistance" here at home (working with his recruiter). We got spoiled by having him home for 30 days.

Today, he is on his way to "MCT" (Marine Combat Training) - a condensed version of Infantry School. Then, if he passes his security clearances.... after MCT, he'll go to Intelligence School.

So, today he left home... "for good." He's beginning his life as an independent adult. It's really strange. I'm excited for him, of course. He's got lots of adventures ahead. But we are sure going to miss him.

Back