What / when was your first firearm?

Bought a Remington 870 almost 33 years ago when I was 21. 2 years later bought my first pistol, a Colt 1911 Gold Cup. The Remington is upstairs right now, the Gold Cup is long gone.

IMG_2106.jpeg

My first

Reviving this thread, since we have a lot of new members since it started. What was your first gun, and do you still have it?
Remington 66 - 22LR
Ithaca 37 - 28 ga pump

Both gone. Sadly. Gifts from a beloved uncle who taught me how to hunt and handle firearms correctly and safely. Sold them when I went off to college and wish I hadn’t.

My first firearm that was mine, not something the Navy issued me was a cheapie High Point CF380 along with a Century built Yugo M70AB2. bought them both at the same time. Wish I still had just for nostalgia if nothing else.

My first gun was a Smith & Wesson model 66 (stainless) .357 Magnum with a 6" barrel. I was 20 at the time, so my mom needed to buy it. My second, upon turning 21, was a Smith & Wesson model 686 (stainless) .357 Magnum with a 6" barrel. After getting the 66 and learning about it from a friend, going to gunsmith school, I met after purchase, I decided that the heavier duty frame was better for a regular diet of magnum cartridges. I bought a Dillon Progressive reloading press (RL 550 I think) and would hit the range every weekend and mostly plink a couple of hundred rounds or so. I still have all three of the mentioned items.

So I gotta be "that guy". Verbiage is a G19/9mm but a G23/.40 is pictured. Which is it? ;)
I love S&W revolvers, especially the older ones before the "Hillary Hole" locks

Bought a Remington 870 almost 33 years ago when I was 21. 2 years later bought my first pistol, a Colt 1911 Gold Cup. The Remington is upstairs right now, the Gold Cup is long gone.
A 870 was my first real gun too, and I still have it.
I had several bb and pellet guns before the 12ga. One was a Crosman brand pump pistol -I loved that gun as a kid, but no longer have it.

Last edited:
One was a Crosman brand pump pistol -I loved that gun as a kid, but no longer have it.
I also had a Crossman. I think it was the 760XL(?). Something like that. Wood stock and foregrip (which was the pump). Brass receiver. Had a scope. I thought it was very cool. Stolen from our house in a burglary.

I also had a Crossman. I think it was the 760XL(?). Something like that. Wood stock and foregrip (which was the pump). Brass receiver. Had a scope. I thought it was very cool. Stolen from our house in a burglary.
I googled after posting about that gun, trying to find the pistol I had.
I see Crosman pump pistols, but they all look cheap with plastic stocks and pump handles... Mine had a wood stock and foregrip too. :cool:
I thought it was so cool, because it was as powerful as most pump rifles of that time -the early/mid 1980s.

Last edited:
I googled after posting about that gun, trying to find the pistol I had.
I see Crosman pump pistols, but they all look cheap with plastic stocks and pump handles... Mine had a wood stock and foregrip too. :cool:
I thought it was so cool, because it was as powerful as most pump rifles of that time -the early/mid 1980s.
1713492217105.png

My first gun and rifle was a Ruger 10/22 base model bought new from K-Mart for $129. Put a Choate PG Zytel? stock on it and slip on flash hider. I think I had a couple Ram-Line mags for it, I forget the capacity. Cheapy BB-gun style scope. My first "tactical" rifle. :) Sadly no pics of it that I can find. I traded it off for a S&W 622 .22 "target" pistol which I still have but looking to sell to get something that I will use more often.

Interestingly, my son is looking at getting a similar model which now like $279! :eek: FJB!!! It will be his first gun of his own purchase. I suggested he just purchase the parts and build a nicer one or pay a little more and get a nicer one with all the stuff he would pay extra for anyway.

My first pistol was a Ruger P85 MkII 9mm. Bought new from a LGS for about $300 and another $20 for a spare mag. I think I had a slip-on rubber grip for it. I smoothed the inside of the frame where the trigger bar was rubbing which gave it a real nice trigger pull. Traded off for a new Gen2 G19.

My first "shotgun" was a Cobray .410/45LC single-barrel derringer. :D

Back