124 vs 147-gr HP 9-mm ammo for SD?

Before ammo had designer names, the press and DA's with an agenda demonized ordinary HP ammo. Or really any ammo designed to expand. I can remember on the TV news, they called anything but RN "Dum-Dum" after the British arsenal in India by that name. That was the buzz word at the time. So focusing on an insignificant detail to sway juries about intent by ammo type goes back at least that far.
Back in the 70's, the Highway Patrol here was armed with S&W 357's, but issued 38 Special 158 RN lead bullet ammo. The least efficient round in that caliber. All to avoid bad press.

Winchester had "Black Talon" SD ammo years ago. I'm sure the Madison Ave. advertising agency that coined the term for them was well paid. Then the press focused on it. Sounded sensational on 60 Minutes.
Winchester renamed the ammo "Ranger" and left the black coating off, and then the press ignored it. Same ammo, but sounded mundane now.

But folks have forgotten that 38 SPL RN lead and 9mm FMJ ammo is a terrible stopper. It took multiple shots to stop a bad guy. That's why the Mozambique Drill was invented.

Bullet technology has advanced greatly in the last couple of decades. Use the best SD ammo available for carry, and saved the RN for practice.
Excellent points! A name that comes to mind is R.I.P. Only thing missing was the initials R.I.P. on a grave stone on the box. Not just the name, I prefer a SD round that expands and holds together in one piece and does not send shrapnel and a small core/base deeper.

Last edited:
Back