Fake Meat eeewwww !

I ride in this boat too. My household growing up was split evenly between the 'animals are innocent, it is cruel to hunt them, pass the steak,' and, 'when Pa was raising us, he had to hunt to feed us, what a great man.':LOL:

I chose decades ago to stop eating meat -not out of 'logic', 'climate concerns', 'health reasons', any other popular banner really. I stopped because I asked myself honestly, 'if my life wasn't dependent on it, would I go out and kill this animal, dress it, skin it, gut it, butcher it, cook it, and do it again daily/weekly as necessary just to eat it?' My honest answer was no, I wouldn't. I have no problems with people hunting for food -I don't like sport-hunters that kill for no other reason- and it doesn't bother me that people eat meat, our bodies were designed for it and it is a natural aspect of being 'human'. But the connection between the life of the animal that was killed to feed people, and the meat pre-packaged in the grocery-store is so displaced that my personal morals tell me it is wrong for me. And that is one of the big differences to me -I don't preach it, because my choice applies to me, not anyone else around me -it is an individual choice and I start with respecting that.
I have seen cattle-pens, heard enough of the stories of force-fed caged-in chickens, I want no part of that process, it is flat-out evil, but it is an imperfect world, and as yet I don't see the 'right' answer when there are billions of hungry mouths looking for the next meal that they will die without. So I don't have any Right or reason to judge the people who need to eat. But those in our household that do eat meat get the 'humanely raised' (and we take a moment to research and verify, because there is fraud out there) sources -it is usually better-tasting and more nutritious anyway. [Shrug]

As to the scoffs of why the effort is made to emulate meat, it is because people by nature are resistant to change, and don't like giving things up when told they 'should'. It is a transition product for people used to buying frozen burger-patties and Tyson breaded chicken bits. The equivalent to real fresh meat is more like Tofu. But it takes a little more effort and skill to make that palatable -and folks dipping their toes in the water of a meatless diet aren't going to start with that successfully very often -but it IS healthy, and done right downright tasty. I'm happy with my choices in this over the (many, many, MANY :ROFLMAO:) years, but I don't feel 'superior' about it, or pride, or vanity. The only thing I've 'given up' over the years is convenience, and the newer products have returned that to me, and added different menu options too. Nothing wrong with that, again, no judging from here. [Shrug]

The two questions are, "are you willing to 'give up' the type of food you eat for whatever benefits you see do switching to a vegetarian diet?' and 'why do you think it has to be 'giving up' something, is that a mindset that will actually effect this change successfully if you are the one choosing to try it?';)
I totally get the objection to the treatment of animals and killing them for food. I really do.

I tried vegan. Not for a few days or weeks.... but actually did it for 9 months. Pragmatically, I found it extremely difficult. It wasn't that I was "giving up" anything. It was that I couldn't find anything I liked or enjoyed... to eat. Never mind whether things were "done right" or not. Where I live there are plenty of vegan choices. Didn't like them. Blech! Tofu?? Can't stand the stuff. Gags me. Really.

The bottom line was I was not enjoying my food. At all. It became a CHORE. We had to plan every meal around what we could or couldn't eat. Before, we didn't even have to think about it.

So, we gave it a real shot. Just wasn't for us. But I do understand and even agree with the philosophy behind it.

Like you.... no judgement from me, either way.

The older I get, the more I dislike the plight of animals raised for food. It's cruel. There's no nice way to kill animals at scale to feed millions of people. I don't like killing anything that doesn't deserve it. I capture an occasional spider or other bug in the house and take them outside.

I'm not that old, but some say as men age they begin to fear death. Maybe that has something to do with my point of view.

We must be brothers from a different mother.
The idea of massive beef farms where cattle stand in their own excrement knee deep and need to be fed a continuous diet of antibiotics and hormones is repulsive.

I grew up on a farm. We grow vegetables, we grow meat, we grow dairy. We know whatā€™s in it, what it ate, whatā€™s on / in the ground it grows on or in. We consume it cuz itā€™s healthy and tasty.
I still grow vegetables and chickens here in the city I live in. I buy meat produced at a ranch in central CA were animals graze on open land. Iā€™m happy with our diet which contains nearly no carbs and sugar.

If people donā€™t want to eat certain items , like meat, Iā€™m ok with that. Itā€™s a personal choice.

Iā€™m not all so cool with the live meat factories, treatment of the animals nor their butcher practices. Food has to be produced for the cravings of people some how. I think if most consumers actually saw how the meat got to the shelves they may think more about allowing open land grazing, ā€œ realā€ free range practices and paying more at the cash register for live stock being humanely treated.

On the fence about meat eating? Visit a rendering plant. I couldn't eat or even look at red meat for a month. :0

We are designed to be eat everything. But we arent designed to domestic cattle or most domesticated animals- except horses- they're yumming.
Speed 3 months eating only wild game or atleast not beef & chickens, then see how you feel.

@Michele
Your thread was a prophecy!

Soylent Green approved for ALL !!!!!!!!!
Get your Vaxxed Meat today!

Courtesy of "Upside Foods" and "Good Meat".
What wonderful and creative company names!

______________________________________________________________________________________________

New York CNN ā€”
Cultivated meat, also known as lab-grown meat, has been cleared for sale in the United States.

Upside Foods and Good Meat, two companies that make what they call ā€œcultivated chicken,ā€ said Wednesday that they have gotten approval from the US Department of Agriculture to start producing their cell-based proteins.

Good Meat, which is owned by plant-based egg substitute maker Eat Just, said that production is starting immediately. Cultivated or lab-grown meat is grown in a giant vat, much like what youā€™d find at a beer brewery.

Wednesdayā€™s move follows a series of previous approvals which have paved the way for sales of cultivated meat in the US.

Last week, Good Meat and Upside said they had received approval for labels for its product from the USDA. In March, Good said it had received a so-called ā€œno questionsā€ letter from the Food and Drug Administration. That letter states that the administration is satisfied that the product is safe to sell in the United States. The FDA issued a similar letter Upside Foods in November.

Read more:
https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/21/business/cultivated-meat-us-approval

230321170201-good-meat-file.jpg

On the plus side, you would be avoiding all the growth hormones and anti biotics they put in the chicken feed...

I totally get the objection to the treatment of animals and killing them for food. I really do.

I tried vegan. Not for a few days or weeks.... but actually did it for 9 months. Pragmatically, I found it extremely difficult. It wasn't that I was "giving up" anything. It was that I couldn't find anything I liked or enjoyed... to eat. Never mind whether things were "done right" or not. Where I live there are plenty of vegan choices. Didn't like them. Blech! Tofu?? Can't stand the stuff. Gags me. Really.

The bottom line was I was not enjoying my food. At all. It became a CHORE. We had to plan every meal around what we could or couldn't eat. Before, we didn't even have to think about it.

So, we gave it a real shot. Just wasn't for us. But I do understand and even agree with the philosophy behind it.

Like you.... no judgement from me, either way.
I'm on the same fence.

Did a lot of hunting. Starting when I was a kid. Pheasant, then deer, then ducks and geese. I graduated to elk and big horn sheep.

We ate what we killed. I sometimes donated deer meat when there was more than I could eat.

My disdain for trophy hunting began at an early age. Some consider hunting a sport. I never did. It's a skill in my view. Sport killing doesn't sit well with me. In other words, killing an animal for fun. Displaying the head or skin. People who shoot exotic animals piss me off. Giraffes, elephants, big cats, etc. I think they are psychopaths who enjoy killing.

I do have one exception. I kill feral hogs. They are a disgusting, dangerous, disease spreading invasive species that ruins every environment they invade.

I like animals more than I like people.

I tried vegetarian because vegan was simply too extreme for me. I didnt have the time or inclination to prepare vegan meals. I ate dairy. It was overall OK but after a while my T-levels plummeted. I had no energy and lost my mojo if you know what I mean. An overabundance of soy can do that to men. I quit soy products and started eating meat and fish again and life sprang back to normal. Boing....

Now, I eat a lot less red meat than I used to. I shoot for an equal balance of lean meats and seafood. Some days, I eat no meat or fish protein at all. Fruit and vegetables only. It works for me. I'm fit, my health is good and I feel great.

I would try lab meat but I'm skeptical about anything synthetic. Also the long term health effects of eating manufactured food.

Last edited:
Hmmm... fake chicken. That used to be a campy joke (you know, the "rubber chicken")

Oh well. Got to go out and feed the flock, gather the eggs, and go to work. They can keep their cultivated cells.

Hmmm... fake chicken. That used to be a campy joke (you know, the "rubber chicken")

Oh well. Got to go out and feed the flock, gather the eggs, and go to work. They can keep their cultivated cells.
Yep I fully agree with you. Anyone can grow a few chooks for eggs and meat.

I'm on the same fence.

Did a lot of hunting. Starting when I was a kid. Pheasant, then deer, then ducks and geese. I graduated to elk and big horn sheep.

We ate what we killed. I sometimes donated deer meat when there was more than I could eat.

My disdain for trophy hunting began at an early age. Some consider hunting a sport. I never did. It's a skill in my view. Sport killing doesn't sit well with me. In other words, killing an animal for fun. Displaying the head or skin. People who shoot exotic animals piss me off. Giraffes, elephants, big cats, etc. I think they are psychopaths who enjoy killing.

I do have one exception. I kill feral hogs. They are a disgusting, dangerous, disease spreading invasive species that ruins every environment they invade.

I like animals more than I like people.

I tried vegetarian because vegan was simply too extreme for me. I didnt have the time or inclination to prepare vegan meals. I ate dairy. It was overall OK but after a while my T-levels plummeted. I had no energy and lost my mojo if you know what I mean. An overabundance of soy can do that to men. I quit soy products and started eating meat and fish again and life sprang back to normal. Boing....

Now, I eat a lot less red meat than I used to. I shoot for an equal balance of lean meats and seafood. Some days, I eat no meat or fish protein at all. Fruit and vegetables only. It works for me. I'm fit, my health is good and I feel great.

I would try lab meat but I'm skeptical about anything synthetic. Also the long term health effects of eating manufactured food.
NFW am I ever consuming that shit as I too am quite skeptical of synthetic foods and there's no way in my lifetime to every really know the long-term health effects of that shit on my health! However, there is plenty of evidence on what diets do actually work for humans.

Like my good friend Racer, although I was never "vegan," I did try avoiding animal proteins and consumed only plant proteins for quite a while (a couple of years actually) and much like Racer's experience, for me it was an exceptionally laborious and boring way to eat/live healthy. I also never lost sight that I still have canine teeth! So recently did a lot of research on a better (for me, at least) way to eat "healthy" and switched to a Paleo/Keto/Mediterranean-like diet. Now I enjoy my food, feel much better, and although I've never been known as an overweight guy, I've lost about 38-40 lb since reaching 202 lb for my 5' 10" and 32" waist in Jan 22; I'm about the same weight I was at the end of basic training over 40 years ago!

Lab-grown meat. . .that's a definite NOPE!

Technically, bread is a lab grown food. The result of a chemical process. Bourbon, scotch, gin, and vodka are also not found in nature. Nor is beer. I'm open minded. :)

Technically, bread is a lab grown food. The result of a chemical process. Bourbon, scotch, gin, and vodka are also not found in nature. Nor is beer. I'm open minded. :)
Thatā€™s fermentation and all the ingredients to make your list are found in nature.
Go for it enjoy your Soylent Green the government has your 6 šŸ˜

Last edited:
I love living where I'm at. There are a few farmers in the area that raise cattle. If you catch em at the right time of year, they'll sell you a live steer/cow for you to bring to butcher or you can do it yourself. Fresh meat.... My landlord actually raises chickens. We get fresh eggs constantly, and I just have to ask if I want a live chicken to kill/dress myself. Hehe.

I don't see a huge difference in one or the other processing methods being 'natural'. Other than one is cleaner and far more efficient.
Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 9.48.44 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 9.39.35 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 9.51.43 PM.png

or...

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 9.38.46 PM.png

People who raise their own chickens or beef... quite a bit simpler. But the % of people who dont buy commercially processed meat is pretty small. Factory raised chickens, hogs, fed all sorts of processed food, raised in in humane condition and slaughtered on a colossal scale. Cattle don't get treated all that well either.

Spaceships also can't haul the 10,000 chickens needed to feed the crew. Behold the future.

Thatā€™s fermentation and all the ingredients to make your list are found in nature.
Go for it enjoy your Soylent Green the government has your 6 šŸ˜
Liquor is not fermented. Spirits are made in an almost identical chemical process that is used to process crude oil into various fuels and chemicals. I know how it works. I built systems that control that sort of thing.

Commercial brewing of beer involves fermentation of course but there is nothing natural going on in a modern brewery. It's a very precisely managed system and process controlled by computers and sophisticated equipment.

This is where yeast for brewing and baking bread is made. Look organic and natural to anybody?

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 10.04.10 PM.png

I mention this for several reasons. The main one being yeast is made in a bioreactor. Same device used to grow the meat we discussed.

Last edited:
Back